[comp.sys.apple2] SoundSmith .94 queery

sandvig@nielsen.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) (08/01/90)

is there a way to configure SoundSmith .94 so that I don't have to have copies
of all the instruments that a piece uses with that piece... ie: I wan't to have
all the instruments in one place on the Hard Drive and let SoundSmith look
for them there...

... or am I dreaming...
--

                                   -Cary
                                   (.sig pending)

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (08/02/90)

One way to do that is to just plop ALL your instruments and songs into one
directory (andy maybe sort it to make it look nice).  SoundSmith uses filetype
filters when selecting songs and instruments, so you can load a song without
scrolling through all the instruments.  Also, with everything in one
directory, you won't need multiple copies of instruments.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/03/90)

In article <3790@crash.cts.com> joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) writes:

[question about putting all SSmith instruments in one directory]

>One way to do that is to just plop ALL your instruments and songs into one
>directory (andy maybe sort it to make it look nice).  SoundSmith uses filetype
>filters when selecting songs and instruments, so you can load a song without
>scrolling through all the instruments.  Also, with everything in one
>directory, you won't need multiple copies of instruments.

Keep in mind that this must be a subdirectory, not the root directory
(such as on a floppy, as I tried).  Root directories are limited to
I think 51 files, while subdirectories can take as many as you want.

Henry
---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (08/03/90)

>while subdirectories can take as many as you want.

Are you SURE?  'cause I was copyin' some of my OLD DOS 3.3 files from 5.25"
disks one day and filled up several 3.5" disks (including the directories).
When the root directory filled up, I had to delete the last file, then make
a new subdirectory, then when that one filled up, I had to make another one
inside of that one.  So most of my disks had about 3 levels of 3 directories
all of which were full.  r do ProDOS 8 and 16 limit your subdirectories
and GS/OS won't?

darwinr@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/04/90)

In article <9008031456.AA10175@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>[I wrote...]
>>while subdirectories can take as many as you want.
>
>Are you SURE?  'cause I was copyin' some of my OLD DOS 3.3 files from 5.25"
>disks one day and filled up several 3.5" disks (including the directories).
>When the root directory filled up, I had to delete the last file, then make
>a new subdirectory, then when that one filled up, I had to make another one
>inside of that one.

Yup, I'm pretty sure.  I just made 260 files within a subdirectory without
any problems.  The reason it's not limited is because on the root,
the entire directory must fit within a few blocks that have to be on
track 0.  A subdirectory block can be anywhere on the disk, and has in it
a pointer to its next block, so it can be expanded dynamically whenever
you need it.  This should be the same under ProDOS 8, ProDOS 16, and GS/OS,
since they all use the same disk structure.

(See _Beneath Apple ProDOS_ for everything you've ever wanted to know
about ProDOS.)

Henry

--
Darwin Roberts
Internet: darwinr@nyssa.cs.orst.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/05/90)

In article <9008031456.AA10175@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>Are you SURE? [that there's no limit on the size of a subdirectory]

Yes, it's true.  A ProDOS subdirectory's size is limited only by available
disk space.

A particular ProDOS 8 application might not be willing to read more than a
fixed number of entries in a subdirectory, or possibly even to create a new
entry after a certain point, but a ProDOS 8 CREATE call will succeed--the
limitation isn't in the volume format or the system software.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.