[comp.sys.apple2] WordPerfect IIGS question

mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) (08/03/90)

Hello Apple People,

	Does anyone use WordPerfect IIGS??  Can it run on a single
3.5" floppy system or [1] 3.5" and [1] 5.25"?  I'm assuming its
best used on a hardisk system, right?

	How does one get a IIGS to boot from the hardisk instead
of from floppy?  Copy GS/OS to hardisk and reboot??

	Thanks in advance!!

Rob Mitchell  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  01776 (508) 443-7311
	Bitnet:    ...!uunet!tci!mitchell
	Internet:  mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com
	America Online: RobertM308

Steep and Deep ... The only way!!  These are my opinions only.

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (08/03/90)

>     How does one get a IIGS to boot from a hardisk?  Copy GS/OS from
>a floppy and reboot?

That's basically it... after you format the HD, then tell the control panel
to boot from the slot your HD controller's in (or scan).

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/03/90)

Wordperfect GS requires a 3.5" disk drive (only one).  The program file
will not fit on a 5.25" disk.

bill gulstad

In article <9008030630.AA19027@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>>     How does one get a IIGS to boot from a hardisk?  Copy GS/OS from
>>a floppy and reboot?
>
>That's basically it... after you format the HD, then tell the control panel
>to boot from the slot your HD controller's in (or scan).

Please do everyone a favor and:

a)  Don't "copy GS/OS from a floppy", use the INSTALLER.
b)  Tell all your friends to use the Installer.
c)  Give Installer scripts as Christmas gifts.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (08/04/90)

In article <490@tci.UUCP>, mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) writes:
> Hello Apple People,
>
> 	Does anyone use WordPerfect IIGS??  Can it run on a single
> 3.5" floppy system or [1] 3.5" and [1] 5.25"?  I'm assuming its
> best used on a hardisk system, right?
>
> 	How does one get a IIGS to boot from the hardisk instead
> of from floppy?  Copy GS/OS to hardisk and reboot??

I have been running WordPerfect IIGS from one floppy for some time - since I
had a hard disk crash!  It is perfectly usable as such, however give the
supplied system the flick - it is 3.2 or thereabouts. My setup for WordPerfect
is as follows:

	o  System 5.02 system disk to boot

	o  WordPerfect program disk (a copy of the supplied files without the
	   system subdirectory, plus a few other bits and pieces.

	o  Dictionary disk.

This is a usable system, and is not terribly difficult to use - you do have to
make sure that you swap the WordPerfect program disk back after booting or you
can have some problems.  With System 5.02 the boot time is not unreasonable
for floppy.  You are certainly correct that it is best on hard disk however,
like most GS programs, WordPerfect in particular is designed for it. Having 2MB
of RAM helps a fair bit however, as I have a RAMdisk set up that is used for
the temporary files it creates.

To boot from a SCSI hard disk:- Set the boot slot to scan (control panel).
				Start up without a floppy in the drive.

By the way WordPerfect have a slight upgrade (2.1e) which is supposed to be
more reliable under GS/OS, I don't know what the difference is however.
--
Stephen Harker
Monash University

jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) (08/05/90)

To boot GS/OS off of your hard drive, you can just use any file copy program
and start copying all the system files (if you know what you're doing)

The easiest way though is to just use the installer that's included with the
system disk.

Although I use wordperfect off a hard drive, i'm sure that you can run it off
of one drive with some disk switching

 ________________________                          __________________________
|                         ProLine: jwana@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!jwana                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!jwana@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: jwana%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/05/90)

In article <3817@crash.cts.com> jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) writes:
>To boot GS/OS off of your hard drive, you can just use any file copy program
>and start copying all the system files (if you know what you're doing)

Wrong!