[comp.sys.apple2] ADB Freeze Ups

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (08/07/90)

  I'm finding that the keyboard on my IIGS seems to freeze up fairly
frequently (several times a week).  It goes dead, but then starts
working OK if I pull out the cable and then reconnect it.
  Am I heading towards a repair job?  It just started happening
recently.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) (08/07/90)

In article <9008062105.AA25787@apple.com> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

>  I'm finding that the keyboard on my IIGS seems to freeze up fairly
>frequently (several times a week).  It goes dead, but then starts
>working OK if I pull out the cable and then reconnect it.
>  Am I heading towards a repair job?  It just started happening
>recently.

	Your problem is the ADB connector in your keyboard, they probably
have a bunch of dirt and stuff on them.  You need to unsoder the ADB's and
clean them off, and re-soder them back on.  An Apple Dealer should do this
for about $10 dollars, if they try to charge you more, I would really Bitch
about it.
	Once done, everything should be running smoothly again.  BTW: if you
have a dealer do it, make sure you test the keyboard before you leave the
store (On a Mac in you have to) and make sure the connectors were sodered
back on correctly.

	Neil M. Runyon -

Neil M. Runyon			CyberSpace - Watch out for AI, they will rip
U of U - CS Dept				your eyes out...along with a
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu			few other vital body parts.

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (08/08/90)

Alan,
 It is time to think about replacing your keyboard. About a year and a half
ago I had the same problem. If your keyboard is the GS original munchkin, then
the problem is most likely that the ADB ports have wiggled enough that the
soldering jobs have broken down. You are therefore not getting a proper
electrical connection on the solders.

If the soldering is the problem, don't be a fool like me. I tried to re-solder
by hand and the boards are just too delicate. Also, you could take it to a
Service Center, but the hourly rate for repair service is an example of
extorsion.

End suggestion: go out and buy a Mac keyboard (normal or extended). I got one
for about $100 and love the better feel of the keys, etc. Also, I opened up
the keyboard to look at the connections/soldering and was pleased to see a
much better job than the GS.

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (08/08/90)

>don't be a fool like me. I tried to resolder by hand and the boards are
>just delicate.

I would try this before getting a new keyboard (only if I didn't really want
a new keyboard).  You'll save ALOT of time and trouble by resoldering it
first.  I've had no soldering experience before, and it only took me 5 minutes
till I had it connected back to the GS and working (after the iron warmed up,
of course).  I didn't see anything 'delicate' about the board, except that
if you drop it on the floor when it's not in the case, it MIGHT break.
But seriously, try the soldering first, if it doesn't work before you start
you don't have much to loose.