[comp.sys.apple2] Conclusion: PR#2 on //c with Hayes compatible doesn't work

twong@CIVIL.UBC.CA (Thomas Wong) (08/05/90)

First of all, I must say that I'm surprise by the lack of response
on both of my questions (PR#2 using applesoft and //c's 5 pin DIN
connector pin out). Only two fellows answered the first question
and the first of those two fellows, Andy Tefft, answered the second.
Whatever happened to the Reign of the Apple Hacks? Am I getting that
old? There used to be tons of Apple gurus, local computer groups/clubs,
Apple BBSs all over, tons of Apple pirates, and we were all hacks.
We all lived by Applesoft, peek and pokes, assembly, and opening the
cover to play around with the hardware to make it do whatever we want.
Has all the Apple // hacks really all converted over to IBM/MACs?

Oh well, enough reminiscing over the good old days. Here is what
I was trying to do. Dump strings to the modem in Applesoft.
Simple enough. Here is the simple test program:

10 PRINT CHR$(4);"PR#2"
20 PRINT "ATDP1234567" : REM I have a pulse dial phone line

and variations thereof. That should work. But not for me.
Andy also has a //c and this program works for him. So we compared
notes (system configuration). Everything is the same accept one last
variable. I have a Hayes compatible and he has an Apple modem. Note
that the serial port of a //c is a 5 pin DIN connector, the Apple
modem has a 9 pin RS-232, and my Hayes compatible has a 25 pin
RS-232. I conclude that there could be two reasons why Hayes doesn't
work and Apple modem works. Logically, going from 9 pins to 5 pins
should have less of a consequence than from 25 pins to 5 pins.
And second, Apple products better work on Apple computers.
But alas, I guess ignoring 20 (actually 19 since 1 pin is a also
a GND) signals provided to be one too many signals to ignore
for PR#2 to work. But since communication programs can choose to
ignore these signals, they all work fine on my //c.

Oh well, my weekend program, which turned into a half month project
is finally over with. Scrapped.

Thomas.

twong@CIVIL.UBC.CA (Thomas Wong) (08/06/90)

Hello Grant. Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I do have all the lines
setted (DTR, TD, GND, RD, DSR are the 5 pins I used) and I had my
//c upgraded a long time ago. But you had another good suggestion.
Set DTR on always. I'm not sure about DTR but I really should have
DSR on so that I'll get MR (modem ready). I completely forgot about
needing MR before I can send things to my modem. So I setted DSR on,
and hence, the MR led went on, and presto, my PRINTs went to the
modem and it dialed. My keyboard entries also went to the modem like
it should. ie. it works! Thanks Grant.
Now my only problem is.... I'm using a SupraModem with software dip
switch settings. ie. I had to send "AT&S" to the modem to set DSR on
before I can send command to the modem. (I ran a comm program to
send "AT&S" to setted MR on) ie. If I can only somehow send "AT&S"
to the modem to set DSR (hence MR) on, so that I can start sending
AT commands like "AT&S" to modem, in my program.
(If I don't have DSR on (MR on), my program would hang right after
PR#2 and hence I can't send AT commands like AT&S to set my modem up).
Suggestions?

Thomas.

twong@CIVIL.UBC.CA (Thomas Wong) (08/06/90)

>Now my only problem is.... I'm using a SupraModem with software dip
>switch settings. ie. I had to send "AT&S" to the modem to set DSR on
>before I can send command to the modem. (I ran a comm program to
>send "AT&S" to setted MR on) ie. If I can only somehow send "AT&S"
>to the modem to set DSR (hence MR) on, so that I can start sending
>AT commands like "AT&S" to modem, in my program.
>(If I don't have DSR on (MR on), my program would hang right after
>PR#2 and hence I can't send AT commands like AT&S to set my modem up).

Does anyone know how communications programs work for the //'s?
How can it send commands to the modem without having to set DSR on
(hence MR on) like I have to right now that I am using PR#2 for my
Applesoft program? When I run kermit for instant and do a "CO" to
get into terminal mode, all I have is the TR led on and whatever I
type will go to the modem. But in my appleosft program, I need to
set DSR (MR) on before my commands go to the modem?

Thomas.

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (08/06/90)

Thomas,
   Have you tried the following code?
10d$=chr$(4)
20print d$"pr#2"
30print d$"in#2"
40print "atdp1234567890"
You have to send both input and output to slot 2 in order to get this to work
(or have I been screwing arounwith MeSsy-DOS for too long?)
Randy
Randy Miller
proline:rs.miller@pro-harvest
uucp:crash!pro-harvest!rs.miller
internet:rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com

Never teach a pig to sing.  You'll drive yourself nuts, and annoy the pig.

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (08/07/90)

What are you trying to accomplish with your program?  There's a way to do what
you want (more or less) but I can't even remember it.  Most everyone with a
modem tries to use the modem from Applesoft but unless you use something like
ModemWorks (Morgan Davis Group - mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com) to handle the dirty
work of telecom, you're really better off just using a telecom program with
scripting to do your modem programming as Applesoft is ill equipped to do
much with your modem.

UUCP: [ ucsd nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton          MCI: delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil                CIS: 72010,37
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com                       AOL: delton

pro-carolina [300-2400 baud] 803-776-3936, login: register

z@pro-fishunt.cts.com (Jim Ziogas) (08/08/90)

This is just a suggestion, but I caught myself doing this before I got a good
terminal program for my gs. I was trying to use the built in terminal emulator
in the gs, but I was typing "PR#2" and it wasn't working.

I finally re-read the docs and found out that it was supposed to be "IN#2"
instead of "PR#2". Something about initializing the port as compared to
booting from it...

Maybe "IN#2" would work for you instead of "PR#2". Worth a try anyway...

Later!

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/09/90)

In article <1189*twong@civil.ubc.ca>, twong@CIVIL.UBC.CA (Thomas Wong) writes:
> First of all, I must say that I'm surprise by the lack of response
> on both of my questions (PR#2 using applesoft and //c's 5 pin DIN
> connector pin out). Only two fellows answered the first question
> and the first of those two fellows, Andy Tefft, answered the second.
> Whatever happened to the Reign of the Apple Hacks? Am I getting that
> old? There used to be tons of Apple gurus, local computer groups/clubs,
> Apple BBSs all over, tons of Apple pirates, and we were all hacks.
> We all lived by Applesoft, peek and pokes, assembly, and opening the
> cover to play around with the hardware to make it do whatever we want.
> Has all the Apple // hacks really all converted over to IBM/MACs?

I think this comes under the heading of faulty logic.

(1) I am a hacker
(2) I program in Applesoft
(3) I can't find anyone else who uses Applesoft therefore there are no other
    hackers anymore.
I don't personally know anyone who uses Applesoft anymore. I do know
quite a few hackers though.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *