[comp.sys.apple2] The Installer

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/09/90)

   Dave/Matt: The current installer requires the disk it's on and the system
disk to be named something special (System.Tools & System.Disk I think). This
is a pain if you want to update a disk named, say, System.5.0.2. It would be
nice if that little protective feature was canned.
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

In article <3870@crash.cts.com> crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>   Dave/Matt: The current installer requires the disk it's on and the system
>disk to be named something special (System.Tools & System.Disk I think). This
>is a pain if you want to update a disk named, say, System.5.0.2. It would be
>nice if that little protective feature was canned.

The Installer doesn't require this, the Installer scripts do.  They do this
because they have to install files from two source disks onto one destination.
Without specifying source disk names, it can't know where to get which source
files.

It has the added benefit of helping ensure that people are installing from
originals or exact copies (instead of just naming some disk with some files on
it "System5.0.2" and expecting it to work properly), but that's not the reason.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."