[comp.sys.apple2] GS -> MAC Sound File Conversions

chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (08/09/90)

In article <434@fawlty.towers.oz>, johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
> In article <1990Aug1.231338.7751@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>About the palette reversals (essentially, GET RID OF THEM!):
>>I feel very strongly that a standard format should NOT reverse or convolute
>>the palette data in ANY way whatsoever, in spite of the 'all the existing
>>formats do it' reasoning.
>>
>>Todd Whitesel
>>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu
>
> Todd,
> 	you'll be happy to know that palettes are not reversed in all the
> existing formats as I was led to believe.
> I only recievied my first external source of 3200 pics a few days ago, and
> they were totally incompatible with the pics I had created.
>
> It is also NOT true that the palettes themselves are reversed.
>
> This all comes from the fact that most source going around uses palette $F
> for scanline 0, $E for palette 1 etc, etc.
> Most source also puts the last color in each palette into memory first.
>
> The palette data in all formats is:
>
> +$00 Palette for scanline 0:  color0 color1 color2 ..... color F
> +$20 Palette for scanline 1:  ..........
> +$1E0 Palette for scanline 199: color0 ..... color F
>
> Just as I and everyone else would have initially hoped.
>
> As for the standard form in APF. This seems to imply that we might as well
> use the 'PALETTE' chunk.
> Any APF file with a MAIN and a PALETTE with the number of scanlines ==
> the number of palettes is a multi palette picture.
>
> I'll stick with Brooks format for uncompressed - but change the filetype.
> Again - pass this on for anyone interested.
>
> John MacLean.
> --
> This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
> That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072
> Snail:    Tower Technology, Unit D 31-33 Sirius Rd,     Home:  +61 2 960 1453
>           Lane Cove, NSW 2066, Australia.

chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (08/09/90)

          Sorry, I don't know what happened in the last post!
*   Can anyone help me with information on how to convert a sound file
digitized on a GS to a sound resource for use by Supercard on the Mac.
I can transfer binary files to and from the GS and Mac but don't know how to
change it into a Mac resource. Information on the reverse process is also
gratefully invited.
        Thanks in advance ... Mike.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/10/90)

chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

>*   Can anyone help me with information on how to convert a sound file
>digitized on a GS to a sound resource for use by Supercard on the Mac.
>I can transfer binary files to and from the GS and Mac but don't know how to
>change it into a Mac resource. Information on the reverse process is also
>gratefully invited.

SoundEdit by Farallon... it's the program that comes with a MacRecorder and
it is very handy to have around.

However, be warned that early macs can only play back at four sample rates:
22 khz, 11 khz, 7 khz, and 5 khz -- if your GS sounds were digitized at some
rate in between then you might have fun trying to get the pitch to sound right.
SoundEdit has a computational pitch changer in it but the results usually sound
horrible.

BTW, What digitizer did you use? My sonic blaster has this annoying hum in the
digitize section -- I can't digitize any usable instruments with it.

Maybe I should upgrade to an Audio Animator and not worry about it...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu