[comp.sys.apple2] //c+ de-accelerate

beh@bass.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) (08/07/90)

Unfortunately, got hit with a strange question today, and couldn't come up
with an obvious answer, so...

User asked how to get the accelerated //c+ to run in a normal (1 MHz)
speed, basically so he can play some old 3.3 games on it...  They claimed
to have gone through the manual with no sign of how to do it - and
unfortunately I don't have access to a manualset for the c+, so ...  I'd
really appreciate it if someone out there could get an answer back to me,
this guy is getting pretty annoying...

Thanks!

Take care-
Bruce Howells,   beh@bu-pub.bu.edu  |   engnbsc@buacca   (BITNet)
  Just a random Engineering undergrad...

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/08/90)

In article <62111@bu.edu.bu.edu> beh@bass.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) writes:
>User asked how to get the accelerated //c+ to run in a normal (1 MHz)
>speed, basically so he can play some old 3.3 games on it...

Just press ESC right away when you turn on the power, and it will say
"Normal" on the screen briefly.  Then it's in 1 MHz mode until you power
down.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <43737@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>In article <62111@bu.edu.bu.edu> beh@bass.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) writes:
>>User asked how to get the accelerated //c+ to run in a normal (1 MHz)
>>speed, basically so he can play some old 3.3 games on it...
>
>Just press ESC right away when you turn on the power, and it will say
>"Normal" on the screen briefly.  Then it's in 1 MHz mode until you power
>down.
>--
>David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems

Dave corrects me more often than I correct him, but this isn't quite right.

The speed of the IIc Plus is actually changed whenever you press control-reset.
If you booted in "Normal" mode and press control-reset for some reason, it
will switch to 4 MHz mode.  If you press control-escape-reset for some reason,
it will switch to 1 MHz ("fast") mode.

You can actually switch speeds like this without rebooting (like, from within
BASIC.SYSTEM), if you're so inclined.  I personally would reboot if I were
you because pressing control-reset at spurious times isn't all that sound an
idea.

At any rate, you don't have to power down.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/10/90)

In article <62111@bu.edu.bu.edu>, beh@bass.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) writes:

> User asked how to get the accelerated //c+ to run in a normal (1 MHz)
> speed, basically so he can play some old 3.3 games on it...  They claimed
> to have gone through the manual with no sign of how to do it - and
> unfortunately I don't have access to a manualset for the c+, so ...  I'd
> really appreciate it if someone out there could get an answer back to me,
> this guy is getting pretty annoying...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Take care-
> Bruce Howells,   beh@bu-pub.bu.edu  |   engnbsc@buacca   (BITNet)
>   Just a random Engineering undergrad...

I don't have a //c+ in front of me but I thought that one of the buttons
that were used on the //c for 80/40 or keyboard had been redesignated for
this. If I remember correctly one is now used for volume control and the
other for the speed.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *