[comp.sys.apple2] MAC sound file format

sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) (08/10/90)

if anyone out there knows the various internal formats of Macintosh sound files
please send them to me (or post them here)... if possible I would like to move
Mac sounds to the GS (and at the same time learn about the Sound DOC)...
--

                                   -Cary
                                   (.sig pending)

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/10/90)

sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) writes:

>if anyone out there knows the various internal formats of Macintosh sound files
>please send them to me (or post them here)... if possible I would like to move
>Mac sounds to the GS (and at the same time learn about the Sound DOC)...

One format which is supported by SoundEdit is AIFF, which is an interchange
format specificed by Apple -- you can buy the Mac specification & toolkit for
$20 or you can download Apple II filetype note $D8/0000 and hack your own
converter. Getting simple digitized sounds into and out of AIFF is a piece of
cake, but the instrument support features are a pain in the a**.

The DOC is truly a wonderful chip. I finally got my hands on MIDI Synth -- it
sounds wonderful but the demos are all mediocre in the WOW! department. Axel.F
played by MIDI Synth would be something I'd like to have... that would be truly
impressive.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu