[comp.sys.apple2] Possible finder bug? And other DA complaints...

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/10/90)

In article <745@dg.dg.com> bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

>  Can anyone else duplicate this on their system?  Id be interested in any
>ideas why this occurs (maybe unitialized pointers...).  I know the workaround,
>Im just curious in seeing if this is a bug w/Finder or something else.

Yup!  I've had that happen several times, but I've always written it off
as a bug in the ShowText NDA.  I haven't followed the steps mentioned in your
article, but I'm pretty confident that I have done (unknowingly) something
very similar to produce this bug.  I will check it out this weekend.

Another thing that bothers me is ShowPic v4.27.  Every once in a while it just
decided to hang while drawing the dialog box for viewing.  I'm not sure whose
fault this is, but I have noticed one other blatant bug in ShowPic:  if you
happen to change 3.5 disks while in ShowPic, the desktop gets confused when
you close the DA and thinks you still have the previous disk in the drive.
I know this DA is just a hack, but some of these bugs bother me sometimes,
since I don't know for sure what's causing them.

>						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com)

Dale LaFountain
dalel@servio.SLC.COM

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/11/90)

In article <623@servio.UUCP> dalel@acacia.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:
>Another thing that bothers me is ShowPic v4.27.  Every once in a while it just
>decided to hang while drawing the dialog box for viewing.  I'm not sure whose
>fault this is, but I have noticed one other blatant bug in ShowPic:  if you
>happen to change 3.5 disks while in ShowPic, the desktop gets confused when
>you close the DA and thinks you still have the previous disk in the drive.
>I know this DA is just a hack, but some of these bugs bother me sometimes,
>since I don't know for sure what's causing them.
>
>Dale LaFountain

Hey, you cat blame that second bug on ShowPic. In the sense that that's a bug,
it's the Finder's fault. It will happen with any DA that has you switch disks,
(well, most of them) as well as CDA's, whatever. If you have 2 3.5" drives,
you can eve fool the Finder. Boot the computer with a system disk in one drive
and some other disk in the other. The second disk should be set up so that
several windows open automagically. As SOON as the fFinder stars reading from
the second disk, pop the first one out (the system disk) and stick in a third.
The Finder doesn't see this disk--you have to eject it and reinsert it to get
it to show up on the desktop...

Jonah