[comp.sys.apple2] Problem with GS Alt Char Set

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") (08/07/90)

Hi to all,

One of the users of my computer center is trying to write a program in
Applesoft BASIC and trying to use Spanish characters.  When I set the GS to
Display Spanish, I can get some of the special Spanish chars, but she needs
the letters a,e,i,o,u with the quote above them going up to the right.  Are
they in the Spanish char set, and if so, where are they.  Are they in the
Alt Char set.  I was checking that out a little, and I didn't see them
anywhere.  I have thought about Apple Mechanic, but I am looking for an easy
way out for her.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator     CREN/Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center             Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                  America Online: GaPio
Philadelphia, PA 19122                 Compu$erve: 74046,1304
(215) 787-6228                              Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI

Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has been disrupted creating this
New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") (08/09/90)

On Mon, 06 Aug 90 19:18:57 -0900 you said:
>Well, since you have a GS, get a GS specific word processor (Most will work,
>but not all).  And install a Keycaps NDA, and use the options and such
>to find the foreign character,(using option, open-apple, shift keys, or
>a combination) then go into your document, and press the key..it will produce
>the special character..I've done this personally with AppleWorks GS
>and Hyperstudio (For a spanish stack written in spanish...)
>TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET
>TSEMM@Acad3.fai.alaska.edu

Thanks for the response Ed, but as my message stated I am trying to get the
spanish characters out of Applesoft Basic.  The option & Open-Apple keys don't
work that way in Basic.  Here is my question again, Doesn't Dave or Matt or
someone know whether it can be done or not?

To: "Info-Apple List at Apple.com" <info-apple@apple.com>

Hi to all,

One of the users of my computer center is trying to write a program in
Applesoft BASIC and trying to use Spanish characters.  When I set the GS to
Display Spanish, I can get some of the special Spanish chars, but she needs
the letters a,e,i,o,u with the quote above them going up to the right.  Are
they in the Spanish char set, and if so, where are they.  Are they in the
Alt Char set.  I was checking that out a little, and I didn't see them
anywhere.  I have thought about Apple Mechanic, but I am looking for an easy
way out for her.

Thanks again in advance,

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/09/90)

In article <9008081659.AA26668@apple.com> V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") writes:
>On Mon, 06 Aug 90 19:18:57 -0900 you said:
>>but not all).  And install a Keycaps NDA, and use the options and such
>>TSEMM@Acad3.fai.alaska.edu

(On a side note--is there a KeyCaps NDA for the GS? I've gat a firend writing
one, but he thought his was the first....)

>Hi to all,
>
>One of the users of my computer center is trying to write a program in
>Applesoft BASIC and trying to use Spanish characters.  When I set the GS to
>Display Spanish, I can get some of the special Spanish chars, but she needs
>the letters a,e,i,o,u with the quote above them going up to the right.  Are
>they in the Spanish char set, and if so, where are they.  Are they in the
>Alt Char set.  I was checking that out a little, and I didn't see them
>anywhere.  I have thought about Apple Mechanic, but I am looking for an easy
>way out for her.
>

>Thanks again in advance,
>George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator     CREN/Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM

Well, according to my Apple IIgs Hardware Refrence, it can't be done. :( You
can gt the N with a ~ over it, the upside down ?, a lowercase n + ~, and
a c with a dot under it (?!?) in the Spanish character set. In French, you
can get an a + `, the c + ., e's with both ` & ', and a u + `. In Italian,
you get all the characters of French, plus an o + ` and an i + `. That's
the closest you're going to get. The other character sets have letters with
two dots over them, but I don't remember using those in Spanish. You can
do some exploring, though. The English characters #,@,[,\,],`,{,|,},~ are the
ones replaced in ALL CHARACTER SETS. You might write a liittle BASIC program
that printed these characters, then go to the control panel and step through
the languages. Hope this has helped some!

Jonah Stich

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/09/90)

>You might write a little program that printed these programs.

I did that a couple of days ago, but I hesitated from posting it here,
thinking that someone else probably would.  So, anyway, here's the program:

5 HOME
10 FOR X = 1024 TO 1279 REM 1279=1024 + 255
20 POKE X,X-1024
30 NEXT X
40 GOTO 40

This will display almost all of the characters that can be displayed.
Just go to the control panel and change the display language until you see
what you want (which isn't what you wanted in your last message).

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/10/90)

In article <9008090407.AA24915@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>[...] So, anyway, here's the program:
>
>5 HOME
>10 FOR X = 1024 TO 1279 REM 1279=1024 + 255
       (Why don't you just say "FOR X = 1024 TO 1024+255" ??)
>20 POKE X,X-1024
>30 NEXT X
>40 GOTO 40
>
>This will display almost all of the characters that can be displayed.
>Just go to the control panel and change the display language until you see
>what you want (which isn't what you wanted in your last message).

This is not good--it overwrites sixteen "screen hole" locations that are
used by the system and peripheral cards.

Try this instead:

10 HOME
20 FOR ROW = 1 TO 8
30   VTAB ROW
40   ADDR = PEEK(40) + 256*PEEK(41) : REM $28 on zero page=base addr for row
50   FOR COL = 0 TO 31
60     POKE ADDR+COL, 32*(ROW-1)+COL
70   NEXT COL
80 NEXT ROW
90 VTAB 10
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/11/90)

>>10 FOR X = 1024 TO 1279 REM 1279 = 1024 + 255
>       (Why don't you just say "10 FOR X = 1024 TO 1024+255 ??)

That's what I was going to post at first, but I thought it would be better
to stick it in a REM statement.  -I- just thought it would make more sense.
I didn't think it would be enough of an issue to even ask about.

>This is no good--it overwrite sixteen "screen hole" locations that are
>used by the system and peripheral cards.

It serves its purpose and I am aware that it overwrites those.  I was going to
spend more time writing a program very similar to what you have, but, since
it's a 'one time run deal', I didn't think it was worth the time or effort.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/11/90)

In article <9008102149.AA25665@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
[...]
>It serves its purpose and I am aware that it overwrites those.  I was going to
>spend more time writing a program very similar to what you have, but, since
>it's a 'one time run deal', I didn't think it was worth the time or effort.

As long as you're *rebooting* right away, that's fine.  Otherwise, don't
trash screen holes--you could destroy data on your disks, if you got unlucky
enough.