[comp.sys.apple2] DARK DESIGNS I from SoftDisk GS #9

unknown@.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (08/02/90)

        Has anyone played Dark Designs I? It is a game that's on SoftDisk GS
#9. The game can basically be described as Wizardry GS. This game alone is
worth the price of the disk.

        I'm stuck though.. The documentation doesn't give me any hints either.

        I have covered what I consider all of the main level, and the first
level upward... I have covered most of the first level down, but there's
a STONE GOLEM that I can't kill. Nothing affects him. That's what it says
when I try to fight him.

        Also what does the Medusa head do? I sold it back, but realized
that it has to be important somehow.. I'll buy it back somehow if necessary.
I even tried to USE the Medusa Head while in combat thinking that since Medusa
turns people to stone, it might help in combat against the Golem.. But it
doesn't.

        My last question is how to get into the "cross" at the top of the
map of the first level you enter when starting the game. If I will find out
how to do this myself AFTER killing the stone golem, then I guess it'd be
cool if you told me I'll find out by myself, but if I should know already any
help would be appreciated.

        Any help on these questions or any other generic help would be
GREATLY appreciated. Just mail me back at either of the addresses given in
my signature.  Thanks a lot!
--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\
 /_\  |__| |    __|(GS) |_| |_  \  / |_|   |    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |

daehl@madnix.UUCP (Donald Aehl) (08/04/90)

In article <5652@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>        Has anyone played Dark Designs I? It is a game that's on SoftDisk GS
>#9. The game can basically be described as Wizardry GS. This game alone is
>worth the price of the disk.
>        I'm stuck though.

I agree, the game is great!  Well worth the $12.95 for the entire issue.

As far as the game goes.  I just solved it yesterday.  I am eagerly awaiting
the next issue and Dark Designs II.

The Stone Golem gave me alot of trouble too.  I was stuck there fore a few
hours.  I tried the Medusa Head as well (to no avail).  None of the spells
had any affect upon him either.  I'm not sure if my suggestion will help, but
this is how I finally got by the Golem:  After all my party advanced on the
golem, after about three rounds of fighting, I noticed that my magic-user
(wizard) would do a few point of damage to the golem (about 8-10pts per melee)
So I just stuck in there four about fifteen rounds until my wizard had
sucessfully killed him.  Honestly, I'm not sure what it was about him.  All
he had was a simple dagger.  No especially high characteristics either. I
just used the default characters from the game (Lane Rothe I believe was his
name). My advise is to cast alot of Bless spells on the other characters and
just let your wizard take him on.  I just might work.

Still, I did get seriously stuck.  And you will too.  Softdisk Publishing made
an error when they published Issue #9 of Softdisk GS.  Dark Designs has a
serious fault in it.  The Third key is missing from the published release.
Without it, you cannot get into the Gazebo (the plus-sign shaped form at the
top of the first level map) or the topmost floor of the castle (through the
Queen's bedroom).

Thankfully, Softdisk uploaded a fix onto America Online which adds the key
back to the game.  I'll uploaded it if you need it, just let me know.

To be honest, though.  I never got into the gazebo.  I though that was the
place where the final goal (the staff of Gremlinar) was.  Actually it is in
the topmost level of the castle.  It is guarded by a Three headed Hydra along
with two Fire Golems.  They are really tough.  I just barely survived.
The staff took me by surprise though.  I didn't think it would be there, I
thought it would be in the gazebo.  So I was going to retreat into the village
to heal up and then see what was actually in the gazebo.  But as soon as I
got back into the village, I got the message that my characters were being
removed and that I could not play with them any longer until the next scenario
is released.

Bummer.

Good luck.

unknown@.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (08/06/90)

	Nobody at all plays this game? It's a very good game which is almost
of publishable quality, in my mind... That is, it's almost good enough to
be published in the normal means like Xenocide and not on a SoftDisk GS..

	Well, I'm stuck and can't find any hints in the documentation or
anything..
	If someone'll mail me, I'll give you more details, but basically
I can't kill the stone golem and don't know what the Medusa head does.

	Thank you very much.

--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/06/90)

In article <5773@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Well, I'm stuck and can't find any hints in the documentation or
>anything..

Be sure you've installed the patch (available from AOL, Genie, and CIS)
that fixes the problem of the missing third key.

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (08/12/90)

In article <13489@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <5773@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) wrote:
>>	Well, I'm stuck and can't find any hints in the documentation or
>>anything..

	I tried to mail this, but it bounced: One of the special weapons that
you pick up (not the Medusa Head - I don't even know what that does) can kill
the stone golem... There's a _real_ obscure clue: The description of the area
that you pick the weapon up in mentions that there's a shattered stone golem
sitting there.

>Be sure you've installed the patch (available from AOL, Genie, and CIS)
>that fixes the problem of the missing third key.

	Just a bit more info on this: It's not a program bug, it's a small
problem with the data file. If you reset the game, the third key will be there.
(Btw, I was the one who found the problem - it really irked me, particularly
after the bit with the golem!) So, if you're already into it fairly far (and I
assume you are if you've gotten to the golem), you should probably get the
patch. However, if you're willing to nuke all of your characters, you don't
need to patch (what a choice, eh?).
--
Jason B. - jason@madnix.UUCP or astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

 I'm going away! I'm not sure how much longer I'll have access, so if you need
to contact me, do it now. Hopefully, I'll get another InterNet account...