[comp.sys.apple2] GBBS & HST's

acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) (08/12/90)

I'm looking for someone who is running GBBS Pro v2.1 and using a 14.4k
USRobotics HST modem with it.

I have a friend that is having trouble setting up hardware "flow control"
on his system.  If you are familiar with this sort of set-up, please reply
via e-mail.  I am looking for switch settings, NRAM settings, init
strings, etc...

Thanks in advance!

--
This is my ".sig" file.  (I can tell, you're excited now....)
Ron

BIn article <2021@carroll1.cc.edu> acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) writes:
>I'm looking for someone who is running GBBS Pro v2.1 and using a 14.4k
>USRobotics HST modem with it.
>
>I have a friend that is having trouble setting up hardware "flow control"
>on his system.  If you are familiar with this sort of set-up, please reply
>via e-mail.  I am looking for switch settings, NRAM settings, init
>strings, etc...
>
>Thanks in advance!

BMost likely the problem is the cable.  Many standard cables have the following
setup (assuming you are using a GS type DIN-8):

DTR: Pin 1 ---> Pin 20: DTR and Pin 4: RTS
CTS: Pin 2 <--- Pin 6:  DSR
TD-: Pin 3 ---> Pin 2:  TD
GND: Pin 4 ---- Pin 7:  SG
RD-: Pin 5 <--- Pin 3:  RD
TD+: Pin 6 NC
GPi: Pin 7 NC
RD+: Pin 8 ---- Pin 7 (or pin 4 on the Minidin)

This gives you output handshaking (the computer can stop the modem, but not
vice-versa).  The problem is Pin 2-- it should be connected to CTS (Pin 5)
not Pin 6 (which on the USR seems to be the same as Carrier Detect)

(If you are using a DB25 like the Apple Super Serial card, disregard this
sentence)
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?