[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II High Speed SCSI Utilities question

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/11/90)

I just have a simple question, to which I've already heard several different
answers, most of them vague in content.  So here goes, again:

Does the SCSI Format program that comes with the DMA SCSI card format with
1:1 interleave?  I have read from previous articles that you are queried as
to which interleave you wish to use; I saw no such query when formatting.

I just want to know if I am operating at optimum performance.

Thank you again for your support,

Dale
dalel@servio.SLC.COM

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/12/90)

I've posted before, but since no one bothered to read it...

The utilities that come with the DMA SCSI card will format it, but it's not
1:1.  It's 2:1 or worse.  USE THE FINDER!  It will ask you what you want to
format it at, then use ADU to partition.  Since my drive was already formatted,
I ended up nuking the first few blocks with BLOCK.WARDEN so the Finder couldn't
recognise it, then asked me if I wanted for format it.  Once everything was up
and running, I ran it through ProSel-16's "Statistics on Disk Access" and got

-------
Conner 40M 1:1 interleave
Non-DMA            DMA
09.40   Linear    02.69
33.47   Random    35.98
00.86 OS Overhead   .86

Rodime RS3000 45M 1:1
Non-DMA            DMA
04.58   Linear    01.26
25.45   Random    27.04
  .88 OS Overhead   .86

/RAM5
04.35   Linear
07.16   Random
00.70 OS Overhead

The numbers vary a little depending on how many HD's I have connected, and
how they are terminated, and when I do it (so it seems), but only a couple
ms (actually, the Conner went from roughly 10ms linear to around 3ms linear
after I finally got everything working again today).  I'm having a LOT of
problems with termination.

Mike

P.S.  Does anyone have a clue how the Rodime drive can be 3.5 times faster than
/RAM5?  A friend of mine says he thought his /RAM5 was faster, but he wasn't
positive.
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (08/12/90)

It was clear to me after the little exercise I just went through and
reported here that a) the DMA SCSI utility disk does not format with a
1:1 interleave, and, b) it doesn't give you the chance to do anything
different from what is built into it.  I don't know what the advanced
disk utilities program does since I couldn't get it to work -- I never
got a new one of those when I upgraded from system disk 4.0 to 5.x, or
if I did I can't find it.

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/13/90)

Well, the code for the IIgs /RAM5 disk isn't the fastest in the world.  Glen
Bredon even had a program that would create a RAMdisk that was about 2-3 times
faster.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond           |  "Where knowledge ends,
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil  |                      Religion begins"
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com         |         - Benjamin Disraeli