[comp.sys.apple2] Axel Folley

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/10/90)

>I also have two speakers hooked up to the headphone jack on occasion,
>and the volume through them is STILL too low...

What is the other configuration you have your speakers set up?  Pluged into
a stereo card?  Sonic Blaster?  Anyway, are your speakers amplified?  If not,
that would explain why you have to turn the volume all the way up... BTW,
when you say you turn the volume all the way up, is that the volume on the
speakers or the control panel (or software) settings, or on the stereo card?
If you don't have externally pwered and amplified speakers, I would recommend
Accoustic Research (AR) speakers... They're bigger, better, and lowder than the
BOSE speakers and LESS expensive (at least at the local stores here in
Chattanooga).

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (08/11/90)

In article <1880@nyx.UUCP> kreme@nyx.UUCP (The Loch Ness Dog) writes:
>Could someone please send me (kreme@nyx.UUCP) a BINSCII encoded Axel.Folley
>for Soundsmith?  A friend of mine has it, but has gone on vacation for two
>months and I would rather not wait now that I finally have Soundsmith 0.94
>working on my Hard drive.

There are two versions of that SoundSmith song.  Axel.F, and Axel.FH.  The
second is supposed to be an enhanced version of the song, but on my
system, it plays back with all the wrong intruments assigned to all the
wrong notes (ever hear HIHAT2 play the melody and the SYNTH play
percussion).

I've had problems with song files for both my older version of SoundSmith
and the 0.94 version.  The songs aren't playing to their entirety.  The
song JIGSAW doesn't get far enough in to play the "Congratulations"
sound.  Also another (I can't remember the title, but it begins with an I
and ends in a... 6?) one seems to have no data beyond block #6, and also
ends abruptly.  I have each song on a separate 5.25" disk with all their
instruments, except for the Axel.F songs, which are on a 3.5" disk.

Also, why do some songs load some instruments twice?  I have some that
load up two copies of HIHAT2, and I can't tell any difference between
them.  Isn't instrument volume, etc. control available it the song file
itself?

>Also, the volume settings on my speakers seems to be WAY off.  On the default
>setting the beeps are almost to quiet to hear at all, and on the loudest
>setting they are just about right.  This is true across the board, not just
>in GS/OS but in Soundsmith and most games.  Is there anything wrong with my
>system?  The OA-Opt-Cntr-Reset shows the system as being OK, so what's up?
>
>I also have two speakers hooked up through the headphone jack on occasion, and
>the volume through them is STILL too low...

I'd try regular headphones, and if it still seems strange, ask someone
else about the volume.  Have them hear it, and if they say it is very
loud, perhaps a hearing test might be in order.

Myself, I haven't had a problem like this, and my machine has already been
upgraded to ROM 01 (I'll wait with 03 until it looks like I need it).
      __  ___________  __
     /_/\/_/_______\_\/\_\
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /
      \  __ \ | | / __  /
       \_\/\_\|_|/_/\/_/   Call me Hammer.
       / /_/ /| |\ \_\ \
      /greg@hoss.unl.edu\
     /_/ /_/_______\_\ \_\

kreme@nyx.UUCP (Something Completely Different) (08/12/90)

In article <9008101532.AA18890@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>I also have two speakers hooked up to the headphone jack on occasion,
>>and the volume through them is STILL too low...
>
>What is the other configuration you have your speakers set up?  Pluged into
>a stereo card?  Sonic Blaster?  Anyway, are your speakers amplified?  If not,

The speakers are unamplified and hooked up TO THE HEADPHONE JACK.  No card.
The volume problem is not unique to the speakers, however, since my internal
speaker is also far to low

>that would explain why you have to turn the volume all the way up... BTW,
>when you say you turn the volume all the way up, is that the volume on the
>speakers or the control panel (or software) settings, or on the stereo card?

On the Control Panel or in software settings (ie, bBlockout's + and -).

>If you don't have externally pwered and amplified speakers, I would recommend
>Accoustic Research (AR) speakers... They're bigger, better, and lowder than the
>BOSE speakers and LESS expensive (at least at the local stores here in
>Chattanooga).

Yes, I should get some better speakers, but I'm unconvinced that the problem is
just the speakers.  They used to be louder, and the internal speaker was louder
as well.  What could cause a sound level drop like this?

markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Miller) (08/13/90)

*If you don't have externally pwered and amplified speakers, I would recommend
*Accoustic Research (AR) speakers... They're bigger, better, and lowder than the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*BOSE speakers and LESS expensive (at least at the local stores here in
*Chattanooga).

Does anybody have a phone number or address of this company?
How about suggestions for any other speakers?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mark Miller				Ellie...Ellie...Foo...Fellie!
markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu		(the countdown is on...only 7 days!)

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/13/90)

In article <12951@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Miller) says:

>*If you don't have externally pwered and amplified speakers, I would recommend
>*Accoustic Research (AR) speakers... They're bigger, better, and lowder than the
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>*BOSE speakers and LESS expensive (at least at the local stores here in
>*Chattanooga).
>
>Does anybody have a phone number or address of this company?
>How about suggestions for any other speakers?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Mark
>--
>Mark Miller				Ellie...Ellie...Foo...Fellie!
>markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu		(the countdown is on...only 7 days!)
Crutchfield sells the AR Powered Partners for $299 (4" woofers, 1" tweeters,
15W amp) and the Bose Roommate II's for $299 also (102dB sound level).
12v adapter $19, C-clamps $49, Wall brackets $24, 12-hours battery+Travel bag+
12v adapter $179.
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/13/90)

Someone asked for the Address of Acoustic Research:

Teledyne Acoustic Research
330 Turnpike St.
Canton, Massachusetts  02021  USA

Sorry, I don't have the Phone #