[comp.sys.apple2] Hackers and Applesoft

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/14/90)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

>I don't personally know anyone who uses Applesoft anymore. I do know
>quite a few hackers though.

Maybe you don't know me personally, but I do use applesoft.

Applesoft is damned handy for all those little things you don't want to have to
fire up the development system to do.

Applesoft is also good for debugging algorithms, since its environment is so
interactive. I was able to get a rudimentary but successful GIF decoder up and
running, initially entirely in Applesoft. When I added the Super Hires ML code
I also rewrote much of the decompression routines in ML (the all-Applesoft
version was S-L-O-W, obviously).

Now that I am confident of the algorithm I can reimplement the entire thing in
ML and if it doesn't work then I know it is a bug and not my misunderstanding
of the algorithms.

I was also able to write a 70 cycle/pixel bresenham's line drawer using the
same development method.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu