[comp.sys.apple2] problems with sciibin and nulib 2.2

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (08/14/90)

I wanted to tear apart the GS Shrinkit SHK to get a decent printout
of the doc.  When I do a sciibin on the 4 part posting to comp.binaries.apple2,
I get two files instead of the one that I expected.  One is called
GSHK.1.02.SHK - I expected that.  But I also get one called GSHK.

When I try to use nulib 2.2 (from April 1990) I get back that the
nufx library contains unknown record types...
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/15/90)

In article <9008140234.AA21208@jade.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>I wanted to tear apart the GS Shrinkit SHK to get a decent printout
>of the doc.  When I do a sciibin on the 4 part posting to comp.binaries.apple2,
>I get two files instead of the one that I expected.  One is called
>GSHK.1.02.SHK - I expected that.  But I also get one called GSHK.
>
>When I try to use nulib 2.2 (from April 1990) I get back that the
>nufx library contains unknown record types...

What you're getting there is GS ShrinkIt v1.0.2 (GSHK) and all of the other
files that come along with it (documnetation, update report, bug reptrting
sheet, icons, etc.) in a GS ShrinkIt archive! It's a neat little trick, but a
paint for anyone who wants to manipulate it on a UNIX box. The idea is that
you'll download the whole thing, then use GSHK to unpack the rest of the
stuff. NuLib can't (last time I checcked) handle the new GS ShrinkIt archives,
what with the comment threads and the new LZW/Type 2  compression. The only
way you're going to br able to get anything out of there, for a while at least,
is to download the whole thing and unpack it on a GS. Probably the guy who
wrote NuLib is working on an update, but it's still a ways off, I think....

>Larry W. Virden

Jonah Stich
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu