[comp.sys.apple2] Disabling Control Panel CDA in ROM 3 GS

cali@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Larry Arbuthnot) (08/15/90)

I recently read about a jumper you could short on a ROM 3 GS
that would disable access to the control panel Classic Desk
Accessory--great for a high school classroom setting with
malicious students.

Looking in my GS I see two pins labeled S2 which look as though
they could do the trick but I hate to try it--only to find that they
*were* some sort of voltage lines.

Anyone heard of this thing and have info on where it is located and
how is it labeled.  I'm not sure I trust my source so I could be full
of **it.

Thanx
t008@psuorpn.cc.pdx.edu				!Portland State University
(503) 725-7080					!Portland, Oregon

In article <3237@psueea.UUCP> cali@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Larry Arbuthnot) writes:

>Anyone heard of this thing and have info on where it is located and
>how is it labeled.  I'm not sure I trust my source so I could be full
>of **it.

All the information on the Control Panel jumper is in Apple IIgs Technical
Note #30, "Hardware Reference Updates".  In my copy it's on page 2 in the
"chapter 6" section.

It says this:

Chapter 6:  The Apple Desktop Bus
Chapter 6:  The Apple Desktop Bus

Page 148, after final paragraph:  Add a new heading and description:

Control Panel Control Jumper

The ADB microcontroller provided with the 1 MB Apple IIgs includes an
input that disables the text Control Panel (normally available via the
Classic Desk Accessory menu).  This feature allows the system parameters
to be set and then protected from changes made via the text Control
Panel.  A jumper across the pins of connector S1 removes the text
Control Panel from the Classic Desk Accessory menu.  All other installed
classic desk accessories are still available in the Classic Desk
Accessory menu when the S1 jumper is installed.  The S1 connector is
located near the ADB microcontroller at motherboard location F12.

Note:  The S1 jumper does not prevent the system parameters from
       being changed with the graphic Control Panel (a new desk
       accessory normally available from the Apple menu of the
       Finder or of any other application that includes the Apple
       menu).

This message brought to you by those Apple II Technical Notes.  Get 'em in
the big white envelope with the picture of Dave Lyons on the front.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."