[comp.sys.apple2] GS Fans?

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/09/90)

What with my memory card, modem, DMA SCSI card, and digitizer, my GS is has
been getting a little toasty on the inside lately. I've deded that it's time
to get a fan, but don't know which one to get. The two obvious choices
are the AE Conserver and Kensington's System Saver. The AE unit has space
to hold 2 3.5" drives, but the fan on the Kensington unit looks more powferful
and robust (and I've heard nasty things about the Vulcan's fans.) If anyone
has had experience with theseI would really appreciate some advice. Price isn't
really an issue, because they're within $5 of eachother. And and all comments
would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of another fan that I didn't
mention, please bring it to my attention. Thanks in advance.

Jonah Stich
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu

UD041948@NDSUVM1.BITNET (08/14/90)

I have a friend who has both the System Saver IIGS and a Vulcan 100Meg
HD.  Well, the System Saver was blowing air up and out of the GS, while
the Vulcan fan directly below the System Saver fan was blowing air down
and _into_ the GS.  Nevertheless, the two fans blowing in opposite
was not only anti-productive, it made a harsh grinding noise to boot.
We tried flipping the Vulcan fan around (not a difficult task really,
it just involved removing the four phillips head screws holding in the fan
and flipping it around), but it still made the grinding noise, as well as
blowing air upward at 30 mph.  We solved the problem by just removing the
Vulcan fan (again, removing the four screws and nicely pulling the fan out
of it's socket, no soldering required).  He now has a nice quiet, and
cool, GS.
-------
  Joe Carlin (FWA)        Don't Panic!        ud041948@ndsuvm1.bitnet
 "We have to go save the Universe, you see," said Ford, "and if that
  sounds like a pretty lame excuse, then you may be right.  Either
  way we're off."  - Ford Prefect, Life, the Universe, and Everything

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) (08/16/90)

  UUUUHHHH? I think we have a basic problem with convection here. I always
thought heat rises.
                     BBEAN@PRO-grouch

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!bbean
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!bbean@nosc.mil