[comp.sys.apple2] How do I get kermit to go faster than 2400 baud

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (08/13/90)

I am using an Apple IIGS with a Transwarp GA and a Telebit Trailblazer plus
modem to connect to another telebit at the office.  When the connection was
made at 19200 baud on both ends, the Telebit responded with Fast Connect
implying that I had a 19200 baud connection; however, the throughput I
measured under kermit was only around 2400 Baud.  Does anyone know how to
transmit at a faster rate with kermit, or possibly some other comm. program?
Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/14/90)

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:

>I am using an Apple IIGS with a Transwarp GA and a Telebit Trailblazer plus
>modem to connect to another telebit at the office.  When the connection was
>made at 19200 baud on both ends, the Telebit responded with Fast Connect
>implying that I had a 19200 baud connection; however, the throughput I
>measured under kermit was only around 2400 Baud.  Does anyone know how to
>transmit at a faster rate with kermit, or possibly some other comm. program?

Kermit 3.86 can handle 9600 (through a Super Serial Card and through the GS's
modem port) without too much trouble. I'd check your control panel settings --
make sure THEY are set to 19200.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.135356.11691@lgc.com>, max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) says:

>I am using an Apple IIGS with a Transwarp GA and a Telebit Trailblazer plus
>modem to connect to another telebit at the office.  When the connection was
>made at 19200 baud on both ends, the Telebit responded with Fast Connect
>implying that I had a 19200 baud connection; however, the throughput I
>measured under kermit was only around 2400 Baud.  Does anyone know how to
>transmit at a faster rate with kermit, or possibly some other comm. program?
>Thanx in advance...
>--
>Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
>Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
>333 Cypress Run, Suite 100      phone: (713) 579-4751
>Houston, Texas  77094

I've been told it's a limitation of Kermit.  On the remote kermit I tell
it to set baud 2400 (default is 1200), and delay 0.  It seems to speed things
up a little, but not all that much.  You might wanna try optimizing any
options for your particular set-up.  (I'm only at 2400, but throughput is
a lot less).
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.212155.29044@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes...
>max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>

>Kermit 3.86 can handle 9600 (through a Super Serial Card and through the GS's
>modem port) without too much trouble. I'd check your control panel settings --
>make sure THEY are set to 19200.

I've used kermit 3.86 at 19200 to transfer files between an MSDOS machine
and MY GS Using a null modem cable for quite some time.  Check the control
panel settings.  Also you should set the send/recive packet lengths to $FA
as this is the largest packet that V3.86 will hanlde. You see an
improvement in the equivalent transmission rate (fewer handshakes).

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.212155.29044@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>>implying that I had a 19200 baud connection; however, the throughput I
>>measured under kermit was only around 2400 Baud.
>Kermit 3.86 can handle 9600 (through a Super Serial Card and through the GS's
>modem port) without too much trouble. I'd check your control panel settings --
>make sure THEY are set to 19200.

I think this misses an important point -- measured throughput cannot exceed
the communication channel bit rate, but it certainly can fall far short of it.
There are delays on both ends and, additionally, such high bit rates over
voice-grade phone lines rely upon statistical compression techniques and half-
duplex operation to attain apparent rates like 19.2Kbps.  If the data does not
fit the assumed statistical model, as compressed files would not, or if the
communication protocol requires frequent turnaround for acknowledgment, as I
think KERMIT does, then the so-called 19.2Kbps modem simply cannot provide
19.2Kbps apparent throughput.  Such modems work best when sending a large
amount of fairly patterned data in one direction, such as display characters
for a display screen, or large blocks of data in a batched transfer protocol.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/16/90)

> Connection was made at 19200 baud on both ends, the Telebit responded
> with Fast Connect implying that I had a 19200 baud connection;
> throughput I measured under kermit was only around 2400 Baud.

You've got two problems:  first, you need to use the FASTOPEN CDA to open the
IIgs port up to greater than 9600 baud.  The modem connects at 19200, but the
path to the modem from the IIgs is only 9600.

Second, kermit has lousy throughput.   Your business computer should at least
have a version of XMODEM.  If you have YMODEM or ZMODEM, use those.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond           |  "Where knowledge ends,
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil  |                      Religion begins"
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com         |         - Benjamin Disraeli