[comp.sys.apple2] How do I corrupt hard disk for finder 1:1 format?

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (08/17/90)

After reading all of the postings about 1-to-1 interleave and the Apple
High Speed DMA SCSI board, I decided to reformat my hard disk.  After a
successful backup, I attempted to use the finder to format.  Then after
rereading the posting from Mike Aos, I attempted to corrupt the beginning
of my hard disk.  I do not have Block Warden or any Prodos sector editors.
Does anybody have a public domain sector editor that will work with the
Apple High Speed DMA SCSI board, or does anybody know the sequence of
commands I could execute from the monitor to make the hard drive unrecognizable
so I can get the 1:1 iterleave formatting option from the finder?
Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.194232.12261@lgc.com> max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>After reading all of the postings about 1-to-1 interleave and the Apple
>High Speed DMA SCSI board, I decided to reformat my hard disk.  After a
>successful backup, I attempted to use the finder to format.  Then after
>rereading the posting from Mike Aos, I attempted to corrupt the beginning
>of my hard disk.  I do not have Block Warden or any Prodos sector editors.
[stuff deleted]

I just finished reformatting, Max.  What I did was find a friend with a Mac,
and re-initialized to HFS.  I then returned and reformatted from the finder.
I'm sure there is an easier way than this.  I didn't notice until after I was
done but there is a >>>>Zero<<<< option in the Advanced Disk Utilities.
From what the manual says, it should hose your hd and force you to reformat.
I didn't try this personally, since I just finished restoring 65 megs of data,
but give it a whirl.

>Thanx in advance...
You're velcome,

Dale LaFountain			dalel@servio.SLC.COM