[comp.sys.apple2] Apple CD-ROM,GS,Mac

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/09/90)

I just recently communicated with Sierra regarding GS and Mac support.
Sierra will be releasing CD-ROM games such as Mixed up Mother Goose and
King's Quest V. The descriptions sound wonderful to anyone who loves sound
and graphics. The graphics' mode will be 320x200x256 (i.e. one of the VGA
modes). At this time, they have no plans to support the Mac for these.
Moreover, while they will have their SCI platform on the Mac shortly, they
apparently have given up on the GS claiming it is "too slow" to support SCI.

The priority for releases of Sierra products will be IBM, then Amiga(including
the A3000),...

This is extremely disappointing news from a GS,Mac and Apple CD-ROM user.
Now that that's out of the way, perhaps someone could answer a more
technical question?

Can an Apple CD-ROM player be used with a PC, and read "PC" CD-ROM disks?

Furthermore, can the PCT access the Apple CD-ROM via the GS SCSI port? That is
does the AE PCT(a PC on a board) support SCSI devices?

Finally, can the Orange Micro PC board in the MacII access the Apple CD-ROM
and treat it as a "PC CD-ROM"?

Sorry to mix Mac,PC,Amiga,GS issues into one message, but computers are meant
for more than just work. Does Apple realize this?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/09/90)

>Furthermore, can the PCT access the Apple-CD ROM via the GS SCSI port?
>That is does the AE PCT(a PC on a board) support SCSI devices?

The PCT will access a 'special' MS-DOS 'fake' partition on ANY ProDOS HD,
no matter what kind of controller you're using (SCSI or non-SCSI).  It will
also access Apple CD-ROM files, but ONLY in the PCT Transfer utility.  In
other words, you have to run a PCT 'FID' program that reaches into ProDOS
and copies a file to an MS-DOS disk or copies a file from MS-DOS to ProDOS,
but it's not a command-line shell.  In other words, you can't be at the MS-DOS
prompt and load, save, and run files on an Apple CD-ROM disk.  Now can you
use an MS-DOS cd-rom with the PCT.  As for supporting SCSI devices... well
yes for HD's and MAYBE for printers, but definately not for scanners or
anything like that.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/09/90)

>Now can you use an MS-DOS cd-rom with the PCT.

Excuse me... That should have been, "Nor can you use an....
                                       ^

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/10/90)

In article <9008090419.AA25604@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Furthermore, can the PCT access the Apple-CD ROM via the GS SCSI port?
>>That is does the AE PCT(a PC on a board) support SCSI devices?
>
>The PCT will access a 'special' MS-DOS 'fake' partition on ANY ProDOS HD,
>no matter what kind of controller you're using (SCSI or non-SCSI).  It will
>also access Apple CD-ROM files, but ONLY in the PCT Transfer utility.

[further explanation deleted]

Ok, the bottom line is this. There are "PC-CD-ROM disks". Can they be used
on an Apple CD-ROM player attached to either a PC(with a SCSI adaptor),
a MacII(with an Orange Micro PC card) and attached to the Mac SCSI port,
or a GS with an AE PC Transporter and attached to the SCSI port of the GS?

What I'm trying to get at is whether or not there is something about the
Apple CD-ROM player(which I have) which would prevent me from using it with
"PC CD-ROM programs", or do I have to go out and buy a CD ROM player(such as
the NEC) which claims to work with both Apple and PC equipment?

Brother, I thought SCSI was SCSI!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/10/90)

> Furthermore, can the PCT access the Apple CD-ROM via the GS SCSI port?
> That is does the AE PCT(a PC on a board) support SCSI devices?

I don't kinow about a CD-ROM, but my PCT definitely works with a SCSI hard
drive.  Could be that ProDOS is insulating it from the SCSI details, though.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/10/90)

>Ok, the bottom line is this. There are "PC-CD-ROM disks". Can they be
>used on an Apple CD-ROM player attached to either a PC(with a SCSI adaptor),
>a MacII(with an Orange Micro PC card) and attached to the Mac SCSI prot,
>or a GS with an AE PC Transporter and attached to the SCSI port of the GS?

I don't know about the Mac stuff, but a PC-CD-ROM disk CANNOT be used with
an Apple CD-ROM player connected to the GS with a SCSI card and using a
PC Transporter.

>Brother, I thought SCSI was SCSI!

SCSI  IS  SCSI, but there's no such thing as a SCSI CD-ROM -DISK-!  The disk
is either formatted with Hi Sierra, Mac HFS, or ProDOS (there very well may
be other formats for CD's, but these are the only ones I'm familiar with).
The GS wil support ONLY ProDOS formatted CD's, unless you happen to have
an HFS FST, or a Hi Sierra FST (FST=File System Translator).  As far as I know
there are no Hi Sierra FST's for the GS. (although I may be wrong), but if
there ARE those FST's in existance, I don't know how they'd be used, whether
you'd need a special GS utility program to access the files on those disks
(In that case, you definately couldn't use that CD with the PCT) or if it
makes those files on the CD available to ProDOS cammands, such as typing
CAT, BLOAD, etc.. (in wich case, you probably WOULD be able to use it),
but I'm ALMOST positive there are no FST's like that (that would let you
use PC CD's anyway).  The way the PCT uses a Hard drive is like this:
You must have a large amount of space on one of your HD partitions (enough
for a PCT HD partition.  What the PC patition REALLY is, is a -PRODOS- file
a VERY LARGE ProDOS file... several megs... however many you specify.  Then
the PCT creates a file on the ProDOS partition named 'MSDOSVOL'.  You may
change the name later if you want...  Then THAT -PRODOS- file containes
the ms-dos block and directory information, as well as the ms-dos files.
That PRODOS FILE is an 'emulated' ms-dos partition.  So it doesn't matter
what kind of Drive you HD is... whether it's SCSI or some comstome made job,
as long as it has been formatted by ProDOS, then the PCT can make an 'emulated'
partition on it.  When the PCT accesses it's 'ms-dos partition', it has to tell
the GS (or Any Apple II with a PCT) to tell PRODOS to load a certain block...
because the drive is a PRODOS formatted drive.  Then the PCT waits until PRODOS
has loaded the information and given it to the PCT.  Then the PCT puts it
into its own memory and it appears to the user that ms-dos handled everything.

>Brother, I thought SCSI was SCSI!

SCSI is a HARDWARE type, not a DOS.  You can't formatt something as SCSI.
SCSI is the hardware that the fomatting/read/write commands have to travel
through.  If you were to format a SCSI HD on a PC, then bring it over to
a GS.  The GS wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of what's on the HD.
The same is true if you formatted a HD with the GS, then took it over to
an ms-dos machine.  All SCSI does, is allow you to use that same SCSI drive
on both machines.. but you'll have to format for the machine you'll be using
it on.  I have an Ehman SCSI HD on my GS.  The drive, itself, is intended
for a MAC, it even came with two MAC 3.5" disks to format the drive.  Since
I have a GS, those disks have done nothing but gathered dust.  I used the
software that came with my SCSI card to format the drive for ProDOS.  Even
though this drive is intended for a MAC, and it is now formatted, I could
take this drive to a Mac, plug it in, and the Mac would think it's not
formatted and if I intended to use it with the Mac, I'd have to reformat it
for the Mac.  So a CD works the same way (except you can't reformat it)...
so a CD formatted for ms-dos or a mac, would be virtually useless on a GS
and TOTALLY useless to the PCT.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/11/90)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>SCSI  IS  SCSI, but there's no such thing as a SCSI CD-ROM -DISK-!  The disk
>is either formatted with Hi Sierra, Mac HFS, or ProDOS (there very well may
>be other formats for CD's, but these are the only ones I'm familiar with).

There is also ISO 9660, the International and Official incarnation of Hi
Sierra. The two are very similar, but I forget if they are different enough
to require seperate FST's.

>The GS wil support ONLY ProDOS formatted CD's, unless you happen to have
>an HFS FST, or a Hi Sierra FST (FST=File System Translator).  As far as I know
>there are no Hi Sierra FST's for the GS. (although I may be wrong), but if

There is a Hi Sierra FST available for the GS, HS.FST on the /system.tools disk
(and probably on the SCSI utilities disk too, but I don't have that yet).

>there ARE those FST's in existance, I don't know how they'd be used, whether
>you'd need a special GS utility program to access the files on those disks

You use the Installer on the /system.tools disk.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/11/90)

In article <9008101615.AA22546@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>As far as I know there are no Hi Sierra FST's for the GS.

?? What about the one shipped with GS/OS 5.whatever?

>... but if there ARE those FST's in existance, I don't know how they'd
>be used, ...

I don't think you understand what FSTs do.  If you insert an ISO std CD-ROM
you should be able to (from Finder) click on the drive icon and see the folder
open up as usual.  There are some constraints on file names and file types,
which have to be kludged a bit (Apple described this in some volume of the
GS/OS Ref. Man.), but basically the whole point of an FST is to make sure
you DON'T have to do anything special at the application or user level in
order to access the files.

>SCSI is the hardware that the fomatting/read/write commands have to travel
>through.

It's more a protocol for using the bus than it is the bus proper,
although both have to be correct to implement the SCSI spec.

>so a CD formatted for ms-dos or a mac, would be virtually useless on a GS
>and TOTALLY useless to the PCT.

The reason for developing the ISO CD-ROM standard was to ensure interchange
of data between different operating systems via the CD media.  If the MS/DOS
or MacOS system happens to support (and USE) the ISO standard, then the
disk should be interchangeable with systems like the IIGS that also support
the standard.  It's the fact that MS/DOS is a godawful mess that encourages
the use of MS/DOS-specific filesystem formats there, although I've been told
that many MS/DOS CD-ROMs are standard-conformant.  I also hear that MacOS
CD-ROMS are virtually universally HFS-formatted instead of standard.

I don't know what to do about this situation other than to complain loudly
about it and spec ISO conformance when writing procurement requirements.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/11/90)

In article <9008101615.AA22546@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

[detailed account of SCSI, PCT+SCSI,CD-ROM formats...]

Sorry to keep at this. I'm not making myself clear. So I'll try to rephrase
this in PC terms.

There is a Sierra PC program, meant to run on IBM type computers only. It is
a program, not a text file,etc... . The program's name is Mixed up Mother
Goose. Now the problem is, this progam is 250megs in size-too much for
distribution on floppies, and the floppy swapping would do a person in! So
it is placed on a CD-ROM disk. It is clear that the program can't run on a GS
or a Mac because it is meant for a different cpu.

Now I have an Apple CD-ROM PLAYER. I don't have a PC. I have a GS and a Mac.
I want to run this program, so I am prepared to buy an IBM type computer for
the SOLE purpose of running Mixed up Mother Goose, which happens to be a
250meg program.

The question is: Do I have to buy another CD-ROM player, or can I use the
Apple CD-ROM player with this IBM computer bought for the purpose of running
this progam?

Hope that clarifies the problem!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/13/90)

>>As far as I know there are no Hi Sierra FSTs for the GS.
>
>?? What about the one shipped with GS/OS 5.whatever?

I don't know??? What about it?  I didn't say, "There ARE NO..." I said,
"As far as I know....

>>... but if there ARE those FSTs in existence, I don't know how they'd
>>be used ...
>
>I don't think you understand what FSTs do...

Actually, I -DO- know what they do...(they're used to access disks of other
formats).  I just don't know, exactly, how they go about doing it... and
that's basically what I said.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/13/90)

In article <9008122209.AA18535@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>[...]
>Actually, I -DO- know what they do...(they're used to access disks of other
>formats).  I just don't know, exactly, how they go about doing it... and
>that's basically what I said.

The job of GS/OS File System Translators is to let applications access
files on different kinds of disks, without the application having to know
or care what kind of disk it is.

As long as an application doesn't go and try to read blocks directly off
disk, or assume that filenames will only be 15 characters, or stuff like
that (see GS/OS Reference and the GS/OS Technical Notes), it just "works."

Currently there are File System Translators for ProDOS, AppleShare, and
High Sierra/ISO 9660.  There are likely to be more in the future.
(Because of the way GS/OS is designed, all FSTs will come from Apple for
the forseeable future.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/13/90)

Thanks for the info about the FSTs David.  BTW, I couldn't tell from the
message, but will ProDOS 8 be able to take advantage of the FSTs?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/18/90)

In article <9008131440.AA25104@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>Thanks for the info about the FSTs David.  BTW, I couldn't tell from the
>message, but will ProDOS 8 be able to take advantage of the FSTs?

No, File System Translators are a GS/OS thing.

But ProDOS 8 applications could read foreign file systems directly, if
they're willing to go to the trouble.  They could even use SmartPort
calls to see the CD-ROM partitions even when ProDOS 8 doesn't see
them (beyond the 2nd partition on the SCSI chain, or the 4th if the
SCSI card is in slot 5).