[comp.sys.apple2] Virtual Realities

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (08/14/90)

In article <116@alchemy.UUCP>, hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes...
>I do agree that the 3200 color display and manipulation technology is an
>exciting thing for the ailing GS.  It is just unfortunate that people liek
>Jason Harper, judging from an interchange of information I had with him while
>working on the Visionary project by the ill fated Virtual Realities, find this
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Did Virtual go under?

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/14/90)

In article <1839@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>In article <116@alchemy.UUCP>, hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes...
>>working on the Visionary project by the ill fated Virtual Realities, find this
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Did Virtual go under?

Frrom what I hear, Viirtual kindly decided that the GS was a dead market, and
that they would only support the Mac from now on. :( Another company, New
Concepts, is now in charge of the Visionary, and have given it some new funky
name. They have a whole bunch of ace programmers working on what sounds like
excellent software, sp things are actually looking up. Supposedly they're
going to make the Visionary capable of digitizing REAL TIME 30 fps!! Of course,
the memory needed for that might be a bit prohibitive, but it's a neat thought!

>|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|

Jonah Stich
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/14/90)

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) writes:

>excellent software, sp things are actually looking up. Supposedly they're
>going to make the Visionary capable of digitizing REAL TIME 30 fps!! Of course,
>the memory needed for that might be a bit prohibitive, but it's a neat thought!

Well... that depends. I was planning to build such a project, and know exactly
how it can be done. However, TI turned out to be far less generous than I
planned, and the chips the project depends on (the Video RAMs) cost more than
my meager budget allowed. I had to drop the class, but I still have much of the
setup, and later this summer I intend to get at least the analog section
working. The analog section (90% donated by Signetics -- thank you!) is
eventually going to digitize 12 bits (4096 colors raw, no restrictions!) at
any dot clock I give it (up to 22 mhz, the maximum for the digitizers) and
redisplay the digitized picture IN REAL TIME. Frame grabbing is performed by
using video RAMs to take a snapshot of one frame's worth of video. A full NTSC
frame (interlaced, 1/30th of a second) at a dot clock of 14 mhz (80 colums or
Double Hi-res uses that) would produce a picture slightly under 768x512 pixels
and would take about 768K to store. The last price Quoted to me by Texas
Instruments for this much VRAM was six 44c251's at $40 each or $240. They
probably cost less now and they might even be willing to sample them (a few
months ago they were so new you couldn't even sample them!).

I'd like to know more about these people. Where are they (LA area so I can
visit them during school?) and what is their phone number?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (08/15/90)

Virtual Realities is more or less kaput.  At least as far as the Apple II
is concerned.  It's really unfortunate; as the Visionary card was a really
nice product.

I understand, however, that the card will still be sold, and supported, by
LRO Computer products (as will Virtual's other product, the Inner Express).

The Visionary got a real nice review this month in Incider magazine.
Unfortunately, it came a little too late.

Hopefully, we'll see this fine product live on.  There's some interesting
things you can do with it...   anyone seen the Paula Abdul demo that is going
around?  (looks like a mini-movie).  Well, with a Visionary card, and a
frame-grabber program, you can make these movies with your VCR.

Lynda

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (08/16/90)

Chris, in your post you ask...

> Did Virtual go under?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Scott...
| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/16/90)

What exactly is this Visionary thing?

bill gulstad

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/17/90)

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What exactly is this Visionary thing?

The Visionary is a video digitizer. It's essentially the 'Apple DMA SCSI' of
video digitizers -- all it is a digitizer interface and a DMA generator. It
has quite adequate capability for real-time digitizing, but needs good software
(which is, of course, in beta) to really sing.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.194944.8252@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes...

>has quite adequate capability for real-time digitizing, but needs good software
>(which is, of course, in beta) to really sing.
>
>Todd Whitesel

Will the "new" software work with the original VisionPlus board or does it
require the new microcode?

/chris

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/18/90)

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:

>Will the "new" software work with the original VisionPlus board or does it
>require the new microcode?

I haven't the foggiest. I'd recommend upgrading to a Visionary and not worrying
about it. Hopefully whoever picked up the Visionary after virtual folded
will be continuing the upgrade program.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu