[comp.sys.apple2] How do I change Icons?

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/13/90)

I've got a nifty little icon I want to replace the standard Trash with.  How
can I do this?  I've been going at it with Icon.Editor v1.0, and everything
SEEMS to work ok, but it insists on putting the "unknown" document instead
of my new trashcan.  Any tips appreciated.

Mike

P.S. Dave, wasn't there some tips or even a tech-note about this?
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/13/90)

>but it insists on putting on putting the "unknown" document instead of
>my new trashcan.

Does your new trashcan appear AFTER the unknown document in the icon list?
If so, then it will be ignored.  Use the copy iten under the edit menu (while
in the icon editor), then move back, somewhere before the unknown document
and paste it there.  Then delete the one that comes after the unknown document.
I think that should work.  I've had that problem a couple of times too.

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/13/90)

In article <4482UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>I've got a nifty little icon I want to replace the standard Trash with.  How
>can I do this?  I've been going at it with Icon.Editor v1.0, and everything
>SEEMS to work ok, but it insists on putting the "unknown" document instead
>of my new trashcan.  Any tips appreciated.

I thought that with  5.0.x you WEREN'T supposed to replace the trash can and
a few other 'standard' icons, as BAD THINGS would happen to you. Then again,
I might well be misremembering. I'm sure that if I am, Matt will come and
bash me over the head with a new toolbax call or something. :)

>Mike
Jonah Stich

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (08/14/90)

Try Using a different Icond editor Like IconED 1.3, or The Icon Editor (TIE).

With IconEd there is a option to set Icon info so you can tell it what the
icon is for, and the startup name of the aplicaiton if aplicable.

Daniel
BITNET : danield%pro-grouch.cts.com@nosc.mil  | ProLine: danield@pro-grouch
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield         | INET:danield@pro-grouch.cts.com
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil| All opinions here in are MINE!!

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/14/90)

In article <9008131448.AA25488@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET says:

>>but it insists on putting on putting the "unknown" document instead of
>>my new trashcan.
>
>Does your new trashcan appear AFTER the unknown document in the icon list?
>If so, then it will be ignored.  Use the copy iten under the edit menu (while
>in the icon editor), then move back, somewhere before the unknown document
>and paste it there.  Then delete the one that comes after the unknown document.
>I think that should work.  I've had that problem a couple of times too.

Yeah, that's how I thought it was supposed to work.  I tried it though, and it
didn't.  Any other ideas?
-------

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/15/90)

>Yeah, that's how I thought it was supposed to work.  I tried it though
>and it didn't.  Any other ideas?

Try to find a copy of "DICED".  That's the icon editor I use.  This one
allows you to use the cut and paste feature that I described.  It's a pretty
nice editor, although I can't compare it to those two you were talking
about because I've never seen them.  Anyway, If you want a copy, I suppose
I could BinscII it and e-mail it to you.

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (08/18/90)

        You can change the ICONS....just make a new icon file....don't use the
files they give you or else it will do nasty things to you....just make a new
icon file and it should work ok...it checks the finder icon file last so it
will check you new file first and find the icons in there and put them up...

 ProLine: khorster@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!khorster
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!khorster@nosc.mil
Internet: khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com