[comp.sys.apple2] Transferring Postscript files with Kermit

clarke@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Lloyd Clarke ) (08/17/90)

I am running Publish It! 3.0 on an Apple IIe.  What I am attempting
to do is write the Postscript file to disk, that Publish It would
normally send to the Laserwriter.  Then I want to send it to a Unix
system (Sun 3/60) via kermit.  And finally print it on an Apple
Laserwriter.

My current state of mess is that the file that I get to the Sun
will cause the laserwriter to flash and nothing ever comes out.
I have been told that I should make the transfer with Kermit in
binary mode.  The problem is that kermit doesn't want to do that
because it reads Apple's internal pointer that says that it is a
text file.

Help!  Has anyone used Publish It! and transferred its PS file.
Any PS file for that matter.  I'll accept any advice however
great or small.

--LL

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/18/90)

clarke@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Lloyd Clarke ) writes:

>I have been told that I should make the transfer with Kermit in
>binary mode.  The problem is that kermit doesn't want to do that
>because it reads Apple's internal pointer that says that it is a
>text file.

Binary shouldn't be necessary, PostScript files *should* be all text.

If you are using Columbia's kermit you can type SET FILE-TYPE BINARY before
you transfer and that will override the file type. Make sure you set the type
to binary on the other end, too -- most other kermit implementations use
SET FILE TYPE BINARY (no hyphen between FILE and TYPE).

Hope this helps...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/18/90)

In article <28569@netnews.upenn.edu>, clarke@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Lloyd Clarke ) writes:
> I am running Publish It! 3.0 on an Apple IIe.  What I am attempting
> to do is write the Postscript file to disk, that Publish It would
> normally send to the Laserwriter.  Then I want to send it to a Unix
> system (Sun 3/60) via kermit.  And finally print it on an Apple
> Laserwriter.
>
> My current state of mess is that the file that I get to the Sun
> will cause the laserwriter to flash and nothing ever comes out.
> I have been told that I should make the transfer with Kermit in
> binary mode.  The problem is that kermit doesn't want to do that
> because it reads Apple's internal pointer that says that it is a
> text file.
>
> Help!  Has anyone used Publish It! and transferred its PS file.
> Any PS file for that matter.  I'll accept any advice however
> great or small.
>
> --LL

I'd try two things. First off, download the file and see if Publish-It!
will use it. If so you know that the file is not being corrupted but that
it's another problem. If uploading is the problem I would change the file type
(there are many utilities for this) of the PS file to binary and then send
it. This wouldn't involve changing any of the file contents, only the
directory information.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *