[comp.sys.apple2] Binscii and Shrinkit

crichmon@digi.lonestar.org (Charles Richmond) (08/16/90)

I need source code for the Binscii and Shrinkit utilities,
preferably in the C language.  I do NOT have an Apple II,
I just would like to be able to read the tech notes and
things of that nature.  If you cannot send me the source,
I will settle for detailed descriptions of the algorithms,
so I can write my own programs.

At least, can you send me some bibliograpic references
to let me find out about how these utilities work?  (I have
NO anonymous ftp access).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

   Charles Richmond     crichmon@digi.lonestar.org

henrym@nuchat.UUCP (Henry Malmgren) (08/18/90)

I just got off of America Online, and I saw an interesting rumor
concerning a new version of Prodos 8.  This version is 1.9, and it is
supposed to replace the lousy quit code with a "mini-finder".  I also heard
that it is not compatible with GS/OS 5.0.2, so this might mean a new version
of the system software is about to be released.  Does anyone have any more
information about this?
Henry Malmgren

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/19/90)

In article <27238@nuchat.UUCP> henrym@nuchat.UUCP (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>I just got off of America Online, and I saw an interesting rumor
>concerning a new version of Prodos 8.  This version is 1.9, and it is
>supposed to replace the lousy quit code with a "mini-finder".  I also heard
>that it is not compatible with GS/OS 5.0.2, so this might mean a new version
>of the system software is about to be released.  Does anyone have any more
>information about this?

A developer version of ProDOS-8 was distributed at KansasFest,
under a license that forbade redistribution.  It indeed does not
work with GS/OS 5.0.2.  I would be quite surprised if it were
never released by Apple.