[net.space] Successful processing of mail

m.postman@UCLA-Security@sri-unix (12/07/82)

From: m.postman at UCLA-Security (UCLA-LOCUS Mail Handler)
===== POSTMAN output follows =====
Date: 07 Dec 1982 0302-PST
From: Ted Anderson <OTA at S1-A>
Subject: SPACE Digest V3 #67
To: SPACE@MIT-MC

SPACE Digest                                      Volume 3 : Issue 67

Today's Topics:
		 Forbidden Planet explosion ; 2001 flaws
			Re: images from Voyager...
			      Misconceptions
			     2010: Oddesy Two
			      Burning Oxygen
			     Asteroid mining

Date: 5 Dec 82 22:32:26-PST (Sun)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: harpo!ihnp4!ihuxr!lew at Ucb-C70
Subject: Forbidden Planet explosion ; 2001 flaws

"Forbidden Planet" had a good planet explosion effect at the end.
To start with, the explosion was viewed from a great enough distance
that the planet appeared initially point-like. The explosion itself
appeared as a luminous circle which expanded rapidly in radius and
then faded (all in silence.) Not beyond criticism, I suppose, but infinitely
superior to the firecracker effects in Star Wars. It looked a lot like the
upper atmosphere dye explosions which were launched from Virginia in the
sixties. Remember them?

Also, a technical flaw in "2001" is the existence of "star drift" to indicate
the stately motion of the "Discovery". I would guess that they knew it was
wrong but left it in anyway. "2001" also had billowing gas and dust in
the lunar vacuum.

Lew Mammel, Jr. ihuxr!lew

------------------------------

Date:  6-Dec-82 14:30:35 PST (Monday)
From: Lynn.es at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: images from Voyager...
To: Space-Enthusiasts at MIT-MC
cc: REM at MIT-MC, Lynn.es

Very creative idea to make parallax measurements, but it needs some
more work to be practical.  Parallax measurements now are practically
useless beyond a few hundred light years, because the measurements get
smaller than the noise.  The size of the measurements is proportional
to baseline (normally the distance across the earth's orbit, by which
photographs 6 months apart differ) and proportional to telescope focal
length (or image scale).  The loss in focal length between our large
telescopes (tens of meters) and Voyager (I think a meter or so) loses
more than its present distance gains in baseline (about 12 AU instead
of 2 that we get with the earth).  In fact the loss of radio contact
at perhaps 50 to 100 AU will prevent us from ever getting much accuracy
gain using Voyager.

At least the attitude adjustment gas should not be a factor in Voyager 1,
since its electrical camera platform maneuvering mechanism (which does not
use the jets) is still working.

As for sending out a probe with ion rocket, let's say we can get a light
year away in a reasonable time.  Now we are talking gains of 30,000 in
the baseline.  But it will take one heck of a transmitter and antenna to
get the data back to us, say a million times more effective than what is
on Voyager.  And the baseline improvement would barely get a marginal
measurement on the nearest galaxy.  We would need at least another factor
of 1000 to get good distances for the Hubble constant.

Now indirectly it would improve measurements by cepheid variable or
other means, because they are calibrated by parallax measurements of
nearby objects.  But this indirectness probably means only a slight
increase in cepheid distance accuracy, and still won't help the
intervening material problem with it.

The large space telescope may be able to get us better parallax
measurements by reducing the noise (atmospheric disturbances of the
incoming light) rather than increasing the measurement.  I would
estimate the improvement to be about a factor of 10.

/Don Lynn

------------------------------

Date:     6 Dec 82 19:17:28-EST (Mon)
From:     the soapbox of Gene Spafford <spaf.gatech@UDel-Relay>
To:       space-enthusiasts at Mit-Mc
Subject:  Misconceptions

marcw @ teklabs asked us for our favorite misconceptions.  The only
problem is, I don't know which of the things I believe happen to
be misconceptions!  Maybe they all are....  Could it be that
the moon isn't the sun at night, and that the world may not be
flat?  Perish the thought!

Lest anyone think I'm poking fun at Marc, let me just point out
that language is so much fun I just couldn't resist.

:-)>
Spaf

------------------------------

Date:  6 Dec 1982 2054-PST
From: Den Lenahan <DLENAHAN at USC-ISIE>
Subject: 2010: Oddesy Two
To: dvw.agm at MIT-OZ
cc: space at MIT-MC
Postal-Address: SMC 2811, NPS, Monterey, Ca 93940.
Phone: (Home) 408-633-5161

I  wasn't  too  impressed with 2010.  It answers some of the questions
left open by 2001, but, on the other hand, the open-endedness of  2001
was one of its pluses.

I was going to say that the conversations in  2010  sounded  too  much
like  Mr.   Wizard lecturing a Jr.  High student.  Especially when the
other person responds, "I didn't  know  that!"   to  something  that's
almost   intuitively  obvious  to  a  casual  observer,  let  alone  a
scientist.  But, over dinner tonight, I was reading the review in  the
January  issue  of Discover, and they say it even better:  "The humans
in this spacescape are hard to  distinguish  from  one  another;  most
sound like Clarke carrying on a conversation with himself."  If you've
read Michner's 'Space' you'll have a feel for Clarke's dialogue.

However,  if  you're  really  curious  to  know what happened to David
Bowman and the Discovery, this is the only way to find out!

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 82 2:29:40-PST (Fri)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: decvax!genradbo!mitccc!jmturn at Ucb-C70
Subject: Burning Oxygen
Via:  Usenet; 6 Dec 82 21:16-PST

"Pure Oxygen burns so nicely"
It is more accurate to say that pure oxygen promotes oxidation so nicely
(no big surprise there...) The key thing to remember is that a spark in
a pure oxygen atmosphere doesn't cause the room to blow up, but if the
spark lands on a couch, the couch is going to be awfully likely to combust
in quick fashion. The reason you don't smoke when O2 is in use is to
prevent your seat/the floor from going up if you drop the bloody thing.

						Flaming without Oxygen
							James

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 82 13:21:25-PST (Mon)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: harpo!floyd!rjs at Ucb-C70
Subject: Asteroid mining
Via:  Usenet; 6 Dec 82 23:12-PST

I've heard that one way of making space technology profitable would
be to mine metals from the asteroid belt.  How can this metal be
brought safely to earth?  It seems that you would need to bring vast
quantities down to be worthwhile, and I've heard that dropping
meteorites of respectable size onto the earth is a good way to drastically
change the environment for a long time.

Of course: mail answers to me and I'll summarize.

	Robert Snyder
	floyd!rjs

End of SPACE Digest

===== MAIL WAS SUCCESSFULLY PROCESSED =====