[comp.sys.apple2] High Speed SCSI Card

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (07/26/90)

In article <43316@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:

>(By the way, has anybody else had trouble using the high-speed SCSI card
>after installing the special OS and drivers that come with it, over your
>existing 5.0.2 installation?  My system was hanging about 2/3 of the way
>through my boot, apparently in the middle of a SCSI read.  I solved the
>problem temporarily by turning off the DMA switch on the card, but that
>shouldn't be necessary--I don't have a large memory card or any other DMA
>peripherals in that particular system.)

I had a dickens of a time myself and finally ended up removing *all* the
5.0.2 stuff and starting over from scratch.

Most of my problems stemmed from an old Rev A Applied Engineering GSRam
that according to AE is *not* DMA compatible and cannot be made DMA compatible
unless you'd like to mail them your fully populated card and $99.00 for a DMA
capable version.

I also found that some of the older Transwarp GS cards are not DMA compatible
and the new chip to fix that problem can be had from AE at no charge.  You can
tell the difference by looking at the top right corner of the TWGS and
examining the chip marked TWGS2.  That chip should have a B rather than an A
on it for DMA compatibility.

The high speed SCSI card is also not going to like some of the older eight foot
long CMS SCSI cables either.  I had to dig up a shorter one and move "Howler,"
my old 20 meg harder closer to the machine.

I like the card though but cannot tell the difference between DMA on and DMA
off right now.  At this time I've got an old Apple ramcard in the machine with
DMA on but am going to have to plug back in my GSRam sooner or later since I
have grown used to the program space.

Has anyone used a GS Juice 4 meg card with any luck?  Their $299 for four meg
and my recent conversations with AE concerning their memory cards have made me
think of making a change.
--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paul@nuchat.UUCP        |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paul  |western savage understands

rockeys@pro-abilink.cts.com (Rockey Stanaland) (08/13/90)

I have the new SCSI card  and would like to know what program anyone is using
to Low Level the drive. I have a 84 meg drive on a IIGS and a TWGS.  Before I
got the new SCSI card I used SCSI Hacker to format with but now I can't get it
to run with the new card even with DMA turned off. (The program crashes.)
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Don't blame me... I only work in the Oil Patch.

Rockey Stanaland          ProLine: Pro-Abilink

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (08/16/90)

Plug the old rev c SCSI card and low-level format to what-ever interleave you
want, the high-level (ProDOS format/initalize), partition, than plug the DMA
SCSI card and you're ready to go.

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (08/19/90)

In article <0093B4320BE22180.00000111@dcs.simpact.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>Plug the old rev c SCSI card and low-level format to what-ever interleave you
>want, the high-level (ProDOS format/initalize), partition, than plug the DMA
>SCSI card and you're ready to go.

The only flaw with this is most of us do not have an "old" card laying around
to plug in.

I upgraded my system from a CMS SCSI card to the DMA SCSI card.

Perhaps someone can tell us what interleave the partitioning software that
came with the controller leaves us with.

--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paul@nuchat.UUCP        |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paul  |western savage understands
Houston, TX 77266| paul%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu|are whiskey and rifles and
713/526-0612 CDT |        Take it Deedee!        |an unarmed man like you.