[comp.sys.apple2] Design Master vs Genesys

bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (08/10/90)

  This may be old news to the net but I need some answers/feedback about
Design Master and Genesys.  What Id like to know is the general opinion and
specific kudos/gripes for each (ie 'Design Master is nice but it cant READ
in resource forks, Genesys can' or whatever).  Recomendations and warnings are
also appreciated...

						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com)

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (08/15/90)

Hmmm, We are working on a comparison review for the next issue of GS+, but I
can give you what I think so far.

 Get Genesys.

 Design Master is strictly OK.  Not being able to edit Resource Forks is, in
my opinion, a MAJOR silliness that should NEVER have been allowed to make it
into the final release.  Add to this the fact that Design Master is very
sloppy looking (i.e. the guy had the TOOLS to do a snappy user interface, but
not the talent...) and you can understand my dissapointment with Design
Master.

Genesys, on the other hand is VERY sharp.  It's user interface is very well
thought out and it is very professional looking.  The only thing that Design
Master can do that Genesys can't is make Dialog Boxes and Lists.  Not that big
a deal (although my latest project requires both, so Genesys won't be much
help there :)

Finally, lemme give an example.  Yesterday, I got the new Wings program
launcher from Vitesse (very sharp by the way).  Wings uses a LOT of resources!
Unfortunately, Design Master can't touch them.  With Genesys however, I am
able to modify almost all aspects of the program.  In fact, there is a CString
resource 'hidden' in the Wings Resource fork that tells you HOW to modify the
Wings resources! (There is also a custom resource called 'EasterEggPic' that I
can't figure out how to get to yet...)  Design Master simply can't touch this
stuff.

 As I said, these are just my initial feelings, our full review will appear in
the the next issue of GS+ magazine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

 Diz
 -My-
 Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | Send Me Your
 Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________| Address & I'll
 Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other | Send You A Sample
 BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff | Of GS+ Magazine!

scalawag@blake.acs.washington.edu (Keith Frederick) (08/16/90)

In article <3943@crash.cts.com> diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) writes:

>thought out and it is very professional looking.  The only thing that Design
>Master can do that Genesys can't is make Dialog Boxes and Lists.  Not that big
>a deal (although my latest project requires both, so Genesys won't be much
>help there :)
>

> Diz
> -My-
> Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | Send Me Your
> Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________| Address & I'll
> Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other | Send You A Sample
> BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff | Of GS+ Magazine!

Well, why not simply use a Window instead of a dialog box, Windows are a lot
more flexible to use and set up in my opinion.  Also, GeneSys I believe can
use Alerts.

I thought GeneSys could use Lists (are you sure it can't?).  One thing that
I really like about GeneSys is its ease of use and ease of editing.  Design-
Master is actually quite frustrating to use and IMHO the interface stinks.

I agree with you, GET GENESYS.

The only plus DesignMaster has is its ability to work in 320x200 mode and
the amount of sample source code that comes with it.

Keith R. Frederick / scalawag@blake.acs.washington.edu / CIS:73760,3521

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (08/19/90)

>I thought Genesys could use Lists (are you sure it can't?)...

Right you are!  Genesys can indeed create lists.  (Thanks to my ace programmer
joe 'Gonzo' wankerl for gently pointing this out to me... "You BONEHEAD!  It's
under add control!!!"  Thanks joe!)

Therefore, I must ammend my earlier statement to say that, The only thing
DesignMaster can do that Genesys can't is make dialogs and work in 320 mode.
Not that big a loss.

Get Genesys.

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (08/20/90)

On Sun, 19 Aug 90 07:16:15 GMT Steven Disbrow said:

>Therefore, I must ammend my earlier statement to say that, The only thing
>DesignMaster can do that Genesys can't is make dialogs and work in 320 mode.

"But why use dialogs," you ask?  Well... SFPPutFile2 and SFPGetFile2.

 I think that about sums it up.  :-)

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM