[comp.sys.apple2] RAM expansion questions

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/14/90)

I am interested in purchasing more memory for my GS.  I currently have 1.25meg
(Apple Exp. Card), and wish to upgrade to a 4 meg board that uses 1 meg SIMMS.

So my questions are:			     /(DMA compatible, etc.)
	Do I have any limitations on what "type" of memory I can use, due to
	  the use of: TransWarp GS (w/ DMA upgrade), Apple DMA SCSI card, and
	  an Audio Animator (not yet, but real soon)?

 	What cards are out there that would suit my needs?  The one I hear
	  talked about the most is the GS Sauce card.  Will this work?

	I have no problem with buying a card bare and adding RAM on my own,
	  but specifically which chips will I need and where could I find
  	  them.  Todd Whitesel mentioned the Chip Merchant.  Does anyone
	  (or Todd) have a phone number for them?

I have seen and heard about some pretty incredible RAM prices, and I just want
to make sure I don't get taken for a ride by buying cheap chips that won't
work.

Thanks in advance for the info,

Dale
dalel@servio.SLC.COM

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/15/90)

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:

>I am interested in purchasing more memory for my GS.  I currently have 1.25meg
>(Apple Exp. Card), and wish to upgrade to a 4 meg board that uses 1 meg SIMMS.

The GS Sauce is the only card I am aware of that takes 4 1 meg SIMMs.
The OCTORAM will take 8 1 meg SIMMs, but I don't know where you can get those
nowadays; someone else probably does.

>So my questions are:			     /(DMA compatible, etc.)
>	Do I have any limitations on what "type" of memory I can use, due to
>	  the use of: TransWarp GS (w/ DMA upgrade), Apple DMA SCSI card, and
>	  an Audio Animator (not yet, but real soon)?

TWGS w/DMA and Apple SCSI should get along fine. Audio Animator should work
fine no matter what: it doesn't have anything to do with DMA.

The only restrictions on the memory you pick are:
	150 ns or better (preferably MUCH better)
	must be a four-row card (GS Sauce, many others that take DIPs) OR
	and eight-row card (OCTORAM) with 1 meg in each row (NOT 256k).

I strongly advise you NOT to buy any GS memory boards from AE. Theirs are all
DIP oriented, so that doesn't look like much of a problem.

> 	What cards are out there that would suit my needs?  The one I hear
>	  talked about the most is the GS Sauce card.  Will this work?

Yes, this will work. I have one now, with two 1 meg SIMMs in it and it works
just great. The meager instructions it comes with are somewhat confusing, and
the configuration DIP switch needs to be modified somewhat, but overall I was
impressed with it.

I have had no compatibility problems whatsoever so far (1 week). This is to be
expected; the GS Sauce follows Apple's RAM expansion guidelines to the letter.

>	I have no problem with buying a card bare and adding RAM on my own,
>	  but specifically which chips will I need and where could I find
>  	  them.  Todd Whitesel mentioned the Chip Merchant.  Does anyone
>	  (or Todd) have a phone number for them?

Chip Merchant: 800 426-6375 (orders) 619 268-4774 (info) 619 268-0874 (FAX)
9541 Ridgehaven Ct., Suite A, San Diego, CA 92123

1 meg simms, 80 ns, are running about $50 each these days.

>I have seen and heard about some pretty incredible RAM prices, and I just want
>to make sure I don't get taken for a ride by buying cheap chips that won't
>work.

Chip Merchant is reliable. A friend of mine bought 4 megs from them for his
Mac II and has been using them for a year without problems.

Be warned, however, that the Chip Merchant DOES NOT TAKE CREDIT. They only
accept COD and Prepaid. I was too impatient to prepay, and I couldn't arrange
for someone to be home to pick up the COD, so I blew a little extra dough an
bought my two megs from Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale. They're having a sale
this month (1 meg for $60, in a walk-in retail store) -- they always have a
sale on something, whether it's clone motherboards, VCRs, or Coke.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

mvk@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.182945.18045@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>I strongly advise you NOT to buy any GS memory boards from AE. Theirs are all
>DIP oriented, so that doesn't look like much of a problem.

Hmmm...That's interesting.  And I was considering a GS-RAM Plus.  Is there a
problem with AE's products? service? prices?  Are SIMMs that much cheaper
than DIPs now?  I haven't bought memory since I populated my Apple board
two years ago, so I, too, could use some advice.

Michael Kent
mvk@pawl.rpi.edu

magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (08/15/90)

I'd also be interested in this information. I got stuck with apple's
piece of junk... when I upgraded my iie ($500 approx) after my dealer
"borrowed" it for 2 months for replacement chips and after all this,
I got a rom 1 :(

sincerely
J.C.

In article <1990Aug14.215507.5023@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) writes:

>I'd also be interested in this information. I got stuck with apple's
>piece of junk... when I upgraded my iie ($500 approx) after my dealer
>"borrowed" it for 2 months for replacement chips and after all this,
>I got a rom 1 :(
>
>sincerely
>J.C.

You shouldn't be surprised in the least by this, unless your dealer somehow
hinted you'd get a ROM 3 motherboard, which would be totally incorrect.

(The ROM 3 motherboard doesn't have the matrix keyboard connector necessary
for it to work as a IIe upgrade, and so you can't upgrade a IIe to a ROM 3
IIgs.)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug14.182945.18045@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:
>
>>I am interested in purchasing more memory for my GS.  I currently have 1.25meg
>>(Apple Exp. Card), and wish to upgrade to a 4 meg board that uses 1 meg SIMMS.
>
>The GS Sauce is the only card I am aware of that takes 4 1 meg SIMMs.

There is also a card put out by Harris Labs(which may be the same card!) which
accepts Mac Simms. However, I do not know if this card is "DMA compatible".
Does anybody have any firm information about this card?

>I strongly advise you NOT to buy any GS memory boards from AE.

Why are you advising against AE? I have a GS RAM+ card and it "seems" to
work with my ROM03,TWGS,DMA SCSI card,...I have my own thoughts re AE but
they do supply quite a few AppleII peripherals.

Do you know if the AE GS RAM+ card(upgraded for the ROM03) is DMA compatible?
Mine seems to work, but I only have 1 meg in it and fear the consequences of
adding more!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/16/90)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>>The GS Sauce is the only card I am aware of that takes 4 1 meg SIMMs.

>There is also a card put out by Harris Labs(which may be the same card!) which
>accepts Mac Simms. However, I do not know if this card is "DMA compatible".
>Does anybody have any firm information about this card?

Yes, I do -- I bought one. The GS Sauce is made by Harris Labs, it accepts
SIMMs (1,2,4 256k, or 1,2,4 meg) and is 100% DMA compatible, period. Harris
did the right thing and made the card simple -- it supports exactly those
configurations that Apple steadfastly guarantees will work under all conditions
and ONLY those configurations. AE's cards all do something more than what
Apple guarantees, but they have to forfeit total compatibility in the process.
That's why you have to make sure your AE card is upgraded properly. I have two
megs in my GS Sauce and it works fine -- ok, so I've only had it for a week,
but I have much more confidence in it than I would in an AE memory board.

[ I also wrote, and stand this ]
>>I strongly advise you NOT to buy any GS memory boards from AE.

>Why are you advising against AE? I have a GS RAM+ card and it "seems" to
>work with my ROM03,TWGS,DMA SCSI card,...I have my own thoughts re AE but
>they do supply quite a few AppleII peripherals.

AE has gone severely downhill over the last few years, I think. I am very
satisfied with the first things i bought from them, but lately their products'
compatibility problems and just their whole attitude has turned me off. I am
quite a bit miffed after paying $100 for a Sonic Blaster, whose software sucks
and has never been upgraded, whose digitizer input is totally unusable, and
whose technical support is effectively nonexistent.

>Do you know if the AE GS RAM+ card(upgraded for the ROM03) is DMA compatible?
>Mine seems to work, but I only have 1 meg in it and fear the consequences of
>adding more!

Here's the scoop. If you have more than four sets of chips in the thing then
you *might* have problems. The GS RAM+ takes 1 meg chips, so you've only got
one set in there now. Taking it up to four megs is no problem, unless AE did
something really stupid. Going beyond four megs relies on AE's hardware hacking
for the DMA compatibility to work, but (listen up) Apple's DMA card driver
doesn't use DMA on memory that is above the four meg mark. If you have four
megs or less of main memory then all of it should be DMA compatible (UNLESS you
use 256k chips in a >4 row card) and it gets DMA'd to. Any memory from 04/0000
to 07/ffff is accessed by a software transfer loop. Your TWGS will speed that
up, so you probably won't notice the difference. Besides, when you have four
megs or more, the system almost never has to purge or compact memory, so things
go much faster -- less housekeeping and disk access is necessary.

Hope this last wasn't too confusing.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jsurine@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (James Surine) (08/16/90)

In article <43969@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>(The ROM 3 motherboard doesn't have the matrix keyboard connector necessary
>for it to work as a IIe upgrade, and so you can't upgrade a IIe to a ROM 3
>IIgs.)
>>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are

I have a ROM 01 Apple IIgs and I am wondering if I can upgrade it to ROM 03.

--
+=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+
 j.surine@Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine)               /\/\/\/\/\

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/18/90)

In article <655@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> jsurine@entec.UUCP (James Surine) writes:
>I have a ROM 01 Apple IIgs and I am wondering if I can upgrade it to ROM 03.

Sure, but you have to pay full price for the new motherboard.
Doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (08/18/90)

Nope, you can't upgrade to a ROM 03.  I managed to talk somebody into trading
me a newer GS for an old one (for extra cash), and it's not TOO much worth
worrying about, except that I now have 2 megs of memory instead of 1.25, wiht
nothing but an Apple RAM card.

johns@pro-library.cts.com (John Sparkman) (08/20/90)

What are the advantages in upgrading from a ROM 01 to a ROM 03?

John

In article <4023@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-library.cts.com (John Sparkman) writes:

>What are the advantages in upgrading from a ROM 01 to a ROM 03?
>
>John

Again, for those playing along at home, there is NO UPGRADE from ROM 01 to ROM
03.  You can buy a new ROM 3 machine and sell your ROM 1 machine, but this
doesn't qualify as an "upgrade" in my book.

Advantages?  Not many.  The ROM 3 machine has 1 MB of RAM on the motherboard
and some more of the tools in ROM, which require more patches by the system
software so the available RAM decreases, although not as much as loading the
entire tools from disk.  ROM 3 also has hardware shadowing of text page 2,
built-in universal access features like keyboard mouse and sticky keys, a
different RAM disk toolset that only allows one RAM disk size (no minimum and
maximum), slightly improved sound circuitry (less interference) and a hardware
jumper to keep people out of the text-based control panel CDA.

For the full run-down, see Apple IIgs TN #26.