[comp.sys.apple2] Suggestion re. System.Disk --> /RAM5

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (08/11/90)

A while ago, some people were posting about problems associated with
operation in the Finder tended to go haywire.

Now, I hope that since these postings arose, someone has had the good
sense to post the suggestion I am about to make.

But I have this sneaking feeling I am about to hear the sound of many hands
slapping their associated foreheads.

The obvious solution is: DON'T USE THE FINDER!

DON'T USE ANY PROGRAM HAVING ANYTHING REMOTELY TO DO WITH GS/OS.

You don't need to use the Finder to load the System.Disk into /RAM5.

You don't even need a 16 bit program.

The copying of the System.Disk into /RAM5 can be done with any program
around which can image-copy.

The ProDOS command COPY from the PRO.COMMANDS package will do the job nicely.

Or, you can pack the entire system disk with ShrinkIt, and then, at any old
whim, de-ShrinkIt the file into /RAM5.

Or, you can use any version of Copy II Plus.

Or probably most of those cute little copy programs you acquired from
friends back in high school. You know, the ones with names like
"KrackerJack, by Captain Ahab,
 Moby Slick BBS, located somewhere in northwestern Pennsylvania...."

All of these methods will get the bit image of the System.Disk into /RAM5.

WITHOUT USING GS/OS.

Which means, we can act as if we were still on 8-bit Apple IIs, and not
have to give a shit about warm-starting!

After all, what resource forks are in danger of being corrupted in
the middle of 8-bit mode?

So, load your SYSTEM.DISK from any 8-bit method you like best,

set the control panel to boot from /RAMDISK.

Press Control-OA-Reset.

The hardware could give a shit what O/S you were in when you hit the
warm start combo.

It just cares what the control panel says.

If the CP says boot from /RAM5, it'll boot from /RAM5.

If the contents are the SYSTEM.DISK, then it'll run the GS/OS startup.

My favorite way of accomplishing all this, since it would take less disk
space, would be to have my main disk boot into Copy II Plus v 9.0, from
which I can duck into ShrinkIt. (If you don't have Copy II 9, make
ShrinkIt itself the primary SYS file on a ProDOS 8 disk) Unshrink the
GS.OS.SHK archive containing a compressed form of your SYSTEM.DISK into
/RAM5. Change the boot slot in the Control Panel, and warm-start out of
ShrinkIt. ShrinkIt won't be insulted in the least.

One wonderful outgrowth of doing it like this, is that you can actually
put an SHK file of SYSTEM.DISK on an 800K disk whose full size in /RAM5
is probably over 1 Meg, which means you can have many of your favorite
DAs, Inits, FSTs, and other cute little disk-hogging demons right at your
disposal in /RAM5 along with the essentials, and all you have to do is
order an unpack into /RAM5 and kick back for 60 seconds.

A wonderful way to both increase speed and beat the 800K ceiling.

P.S. I have a comm program (Readylink) which likes to access it's home
disk quite a lot. Makes it damn near impossible to use with a single drive.
So, I already have designed this method, putting my Readylink files into
a file-list SHK and blasting them up into /RAM5. Then, my 3.5 drive is free
to act as the data disk drive. Works like a charm.

Try getting back to the simple level. Try going back to 8-bit mode while
blasting up your files into /RAM5.

It will save you all this bloody to do with the GS/OS Shutdown.

--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,

I wrote:

>Or probably most of those cute little copy programs you acquired from
>friends back in high school. You know, the ones with names like
>"KrackerJack, by Captain Ahab,
> Moby Slick BBS, located somewhere in northwestern Pennsylvania...."

This wouldn't be quite right I just realized, since most of these littlee
numbers were only designed with 5.25 inch disks in mind.

Any program that deals with ProDOS could do it though.

And certainly packing the entire disk as a single SHK file will work.

I believe that 8-bit ShrinkIt, while unable to archive individual forked
files, is quite able to pack the bit image of an entire disk containing
forked files.

--

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (08/11/90)

:
>Or, you can pack the entire system disk with ShrinkIt, and then, at any old
>whim, de-ShrinkIt the file into /RAM5.
:
>My favorite way of accomplishing all this, since it would take less disk
>space, would be to have my main disk boot into Copy II Plus v 9.0, from
>which I can duck into ShrinkIt. (If you don't have Copy II 9, make
>ShrinkIt itself the primary SYS file on a ProDOS 8 disk) Unshrink the
>GS.OS.SHK archive containing a compressed form of your SYSTEM.DISK into
>/RAM5. Change the boot slot in the Control Panel, and warm-start out of
>ShrinkIt. ShrinkIt won't be insulted in the least.
>
>One wonderful outgrowth of doing it like this, is that you can actually
>put an SHK file of SYSTEM.DISK on an 800K disk whose full size in /RAM5
>is probably over 1 Meg, which means you can have many of your favorite
>DAs, Inits, FSTs, and other cute little disk-hogging demons right at your
>disposal in /RAM5 along with the essentials, and all you have to do is
>order an unpack into /RAM5 and kick back for 60 seconds.
>
>A wonderful way to both increase speed and beat the 800K ceiling.

Oh, wait until your ShrinkIT file becomes corrupted!  I lost a backup of a
BBS like that.  If one block goes bad in that archive, you can kiss it
goodbye.  Plus a lot of programs will need that precious RAM you are using
for a RAMdisk.  If it is an 8-bit application, go ahead, it is great for
that.  You can store ProTERM (or ReadyLink) in it, you can use it as the
receive volume for xfers, at 800K it is perfect for making backups of
programs when you have only one 800K drive and the copier doesn't do
one-pass jobs on it.  But I don't suggest it for GS/OS programs, unless
you really know what you are doing.  (I've had problems copying a series
of files from a disk to /RAM5 from the Desktop.  It seems that since the
/RAM5 space isn't being used, we can load more stuff into memory before
saving.  Then it tries to save into /RAM5, and suddenly finds that it
can't, since it has used too much of it itself.  (ProTERM v2.1 has a
similar problem: if you save files in /RAM5, but stay online too long,
pretty soon your scrollback buffer starts overwriting your files, since it
doesn't reconfigure the scrollback capacity.  Is v2.2 like this?)

About Copy II+ v9.0:  I hate it.  I use v8.2 instead of v9.0.  V8.2 is
faster (sheesh, how long can v9.0 take to scroll-through/display a block
of a 3.5" disk in the sector editor) and that program-selector is a joke.
I get more use out of Bird's Better Bye than that thing.

In case you are wondering, I was shown v9.0 by someone else who owned a
copy, and decided that I didn't want to up(down)grade to it.

>--
>Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
>     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,
>         o/~ `Cause this skinny boy wants a BIG FAT BLONDE!   - The Rainmakers

      __  ___________  __
     /_/\/_/_______\_\/\_\
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /
      \  __ \ | | / __  /
       \_\/\_\|_|/_/\/_/   Just call me "Hammer."
       / /_/ /| |\ \_\ \
      /greg@hoss.unl.edu\
     /_/ /_/_______\_\ \_\

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/12/90)

> (ProTERM v2.1 has a similar problem: if you save files in /RAM5,
> but stay online too long, pretty soon your scrollback buffer starts
> overwriting your files, since it doesn't reconfigure the scrollback
> capacity.  Is v2.2 like this?)

ProTerm 2.2 fixes this.

On the "boot from RAM: problem, I've got a program that resizes the RAM Disk,
copies the disk to /RAM5, renames it back to /RAM5, then boots it.   Takes
about 30 seconds.   If you've got the 800K to spare, it works great.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

In article <3865.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>On the "boot from RAM: problem, I've got a program that resizes the RAM Disk,
>copies the disk to /RAM5, renames it back to /RAM5, then boots it.   Takes
>about 30 seconds.   If you've got the 800K to spare, it works great.

I'm doing some /RAM5 work currently, and one of the things on my agenda is
a CDev that will restore a Davex 'vstore'd volume into /RAM5 on boot.  When
I get it done (hopefully I'll get to it this month), I'll give it to Dave to
get to Davex customers somehow.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (08/15/90)

In article <11788@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:
>A while ago, some people were posting about problems associated with
>operation in the Finder tended to go haywire.

Back before I had a hard disk I used to use a patched ProDOS file that
did the following:
- If the boot slot was /RAM5, it continued with the normal ProDOS boot.
- Otherwise it did a smart block copy of the 3.5 to /RAM5, changed the
boot slot to /RAM5, and re-booted.

Of course this requires at least 1.5 Meg of RAM if you are using GS/OS.
But I am sure there are people out there with >= 1.5 Meg RAM and no
hard disk.
This way all but the first boot are fast.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (08/23/90)

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:

>But I am sure there are people out there with >= 1.5 Meg RAM and no
>hard disk.

Yes, like myself for instance.