[comp.sys.apple2] ShrinitGS and CRC errors

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) (08/20/90)

	It has seemed to me that ever since ShrinkitGS has come out that
there has been quite a few ShrinkIt archives that come back with the Bad
CRC error.  Personally I have had this happen six times, while with the
old Shrinkit I had never seen this error.  Anybody else seem to be seeing
this error quite a bit?
	Also will someone redo the 21 part samples disk with the old shrinkit
as that it is another archive with that bloody Bad CRC error.  Thanks...

Neil -

Neil M. Runyon				Still running on my Apple IIgs ROM 1
University of Utah - CS Dept		 Woz machine, 1.75 Megs Ram, 65 M HD
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu		 4 Speakers, and one Sony TV/Monitor

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.125144.21897@hellgate.utah.edu> nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) writes:

>	It has seemed to me that ever since ShrinkitGS has come out that
>there has been quite a few ShrinkIt archives that come back with the Bad
>CRC error.  Personally I have had this happen six times, while with the
>old Shrinkit I had never seen this error.  Anybody else seem to be seeing
>this error quite a bit?

    I've seen this once, but all the files in the archive unshrunk successfully
anyway.  I suppose this could be a bug in the CRC code or something like that.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.125144.21897@hellgate.utah.edu> nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) writes:

>	It has seemed to me that ever since ShrinkitGS has come out that
>there has been quite a few ShrinkIt archives that come back with the Bad
>CRC error.  Personally I have had this happen six times, while with the
>old Shrinkit I had never seen this error.  Anybody else seem to be seeing
>this error quite a bit?

Ya, I think there's a bug in ShrinkIt GS. I've found that on LARGE archives,
particularly packed disks, Shrinkit GS SOMETIMES has an error unpacking them.
If it doesn't work for you, try it a few times (often rebooting the system in
betweeen tries helps things) with ShrinkIt GS, then try it with ShrinkIt 3.0.3.
As long as the file doesn't have resources in it (which packed disks don't,
as far asa ShrinkIt 3.0.3 is concerned) 3.0.3 will be able to unpack the file
with no problem. I've tried to get this to Andy, but I had to go through an
intermediary, so I'm not sure he's gotten the info.... Hope this helps!

>Neil M. Runyon				Still running on my Apple IIgs ROM 1

Jonah Stich

shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com (Andy Nicholas) (08/21/90)

If you would be so kind as to try to make a duplicate of your system, tell me
what your ramdisk is set at (ie, how much memory is available in your system)
so that I can duplicate the problem every time I try (well, ok, I'll be
realistic... maybe "quite often" would suffice... but I have to catch the
critter first), then I'll try to track it down and eradicate the problem.

Your best bet would be to send me a System disk that duplicates the problem
when GSHK is launched from that disk -- you should also include an archive
which exhibits the problem often as that would help also.

thanks,

andy

PROLINE: pro-novapple!shrinkit
UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit
ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit@nosc.mil
INET: shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com

shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com (Andy Nicholas) (08/21/90)

Jonah -- if you want me to get something and don't have access to AOL, CIS,
         or genie, then send me a disk via usmail with a note explaining
         what's wrong and how to -duplicate- the problem... preferably, often.
         And... I'll see if I can fix it.

I don't get on the net all that often and mail that gets sent to me would
get a better response time if it were sent to my cis account via the
internet<->cis bridge (70771.2615@compuserve.com) -- but even then I can't
guarantee that I'll see it quickly.  Best bet is to send me a disk.

andy

PROLINE: pro-novapple!shrinkit
UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit
ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit@nosc.mil
INET: shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (08/23/90)

        Do you have any CDA's or NDA's online while using GS Shrinkit??  That
will majorly screw a lot of things up...kept getting fatal system errors and
it was caused by the CDA not the program....

 ProLine: khorster@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!khorster
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!khorster@nosc.mil
Internet: khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com