[comp.sys.apple2] Replacing the Trash Icon in Finder v1.3

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/19/90)

I tried everything I could think of, as well as what few suggestions I got
from the net to no avail.  Does anyone know IF it can be done, and if it
can, HOW?

Thanks,

-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/20/90)

>I've tried everyting I could think of, as well as what few suggestions I got
>from the net to no avail.  Does anyone know IF it can be done, and if it
>can, HOW?

I don't know if it's possible using the icon editor you have, but try using
DICED.  I replaced the trash icon SEVERAL times with this.  If you can't
find a copy, I'll e-mail you one.

Michael J. Quinn

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (08/21/90)

>I've tried everyting I could think of, as well as what few suggestions I got
>from the net to no avail.  Does anyone know IF it can be done, and if it
>can, HOW?

The following information was sent to this news group by Grant Delaney
back in October of 1989.  As far as I know, the information is still
applicable.

Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 89 09:46:00 -0600
Sender:       INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
From:         "H. Grant Delaney" <delaneyg%wnre.aecl.cdn@RELAY.CDNNET.CA>
Subject:      notes on disappearing Trash

Some notes on Icons and the GS Finder - Courtesy of Rob Moore and Jim Merritt.
1.  Avoiding the dreaded "Disappearing Trashcan syndrome"
    a)  Do not alter the GS Finder.Icons file in any way.  There are better
        ways to accomplish the same functions.  These will be explained
        later.
    b)  Do not have any icons assigned to filenames with wildcards that also
        do not have the filetype specified.  In fact, we highly recommend
        specifying a filetype for all icons you add to the icons folder.  It's
        a rare case when you can specify a name and not also know the filetype.
        The subtype may or may not be specified.
    c)  Above all, do not attempt to replace the "generic document" icon in
        Finder.Icons, that is used when no other icon matches the file name or
        filetype.  This icon serves a special purpose in the Finder icon
        structure and must not be altered or moved.
2.  How to properly modify the Finder.Icons.  (Wait a minute - We said you
    couldn't do this!)
    a)  Make a copy of the Finder.Icons file and delete all of the icons
        you don't want to change.  You _Must_ delete the Generic Document
        icon.  It's last in the file.  The Finder gets really upset if there
        is more than one of these.
    b)  Edit the icons you want to change and save the file with a new name
        of your choice.  Your edited icons will be used in place of the
        corresponding icons in Finder.Icons.
    c)  You can change the Trashcan's image but you can't increase its size
        much.  Don't try to change any of its other characteristics.
3.  Fun with Folders.  Want customized folder icons?  It's easy.
    a)  Open Finder.Icons and copy the Directory folder icon - labeled DIR.
    b)  Open a new or existing icon file of your own and save the copied folder
        icon there.   _Close_ the Finder.Icons file.
    c)  Edit the icon to add a picture or whatever and change the
        filename for the icon to the name of the folder you want this icon to
        represent.
    d)  Now you have a customized folder icon.  To do more, use copy and paste
        to duplicate the icon in your file and edit the copies.
4.  Some general info:
       Other than Finder.Icons, icon files are loaded by the Finder in directory
    order.  If there are multiple icons that could match a given file or
    filetype, the last one loaded will be used.  This happens because the
    Finder loads the icons files as they're found in the directory and then
    searches  the list of icons backwards from last to first looking for
    the first match it can find.
       If none of your custom icons match a given file, the Finder will always
    find a match of some sort in Finder.Icons, with the Generic Document Icon
    being the match of last resort.
       So if the Icon you see is not the icon you expected, you probably have
    more than one icon that matches your file and the one shown is farther down
    in the directory than the one you wanted. You can rearrange the directory or
    better still, just delete the duplicate icons you don't want.
       It's smart to delete any icons that you're not using.  They're all
    loaded by the Finder and each uses a certain amount of memory, whether it's
    displayed or not.
Have fun.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV                           BITNET: JDA@NIHCU
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (08/23/90)

> [...]

    find a match of some sort in Finder.Icons, with the Generic Document Icon
    being the match of last resort.
       So if the Icon you see is not the icon you expected, you probably have
    more than one icon that matches your file and the one shown is farther down
    in the directory than the one you wanted. You can rearrange the directory or
    better still, just delete the duplicate icons you don't want.
       It's smart to delete any icons that you're not using.  They're all
    loaded by the Finder and each uses a certain amount of memory, whether it's
    displayed or not.
Have fun.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV                           BITNET: JDA@NIHCU
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

vic@pro-abilink.cts.com (Vic Shrock) (08/23/90)

I have successfully replaced the trash can icons with toilet seats.  What I
did was go into the finder icons folder and replace the trash can icons with
what I wanted.  That entailed inserting the icons I wanted and then deleting
the trash can icons.  I inserted my custom icons in the same spot the trash
can icons were at.  NOTE - if you leave the trash can icons in the finder
icons folder, the system will be confused as to which icon to display and so
will display none of them when you drag something down to be deleted and also
after you dump the trash.

Hope this helps.
Vic Shrock                        Charts  N32-25.408    |    ICBMs   N32-25.419
Abilene, Texas                    NAD-27  W99-46.541    |    WGS-84  W99-46.562

Vic@Pro-Abilink
CRASH!Pro-Carolina!Pro-Abilink!Vic

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (08/24/90)