[comp.sys.apple2] RAM chips: how do I tell the difference?

96975089@WSUVM1.BITNET (Ken Smith) (08/24/90)

Here's the situation.  I'm trying to buy some 256k by 4 ram chips for my
Ram Pak4GS.  The manual says get CAS before RAS chips.  Are there any
markings on the chips to designate between cas bfr ras and ras bfr cas?
looking over the chips in the board, they all seem to have a 'P' at the end
of the part number.  Could that be it?

I really need to find this out so the chip companies will stop sending me
the wrong chips all the time.  (too bad i'm not fluent in Chinese)

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Ken Smith

Bitnet:    96975089@WSUVM1
Internet:  96975089@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/24/90)

96975089@WSUVM1.BITNET (Ken Smith) writes:

>Here's the situation.  I'm trying to buy some 256k by 4 ram chips for my
>Ram Pak4GS.  The manual says get CAS before RAS chips.  Are there any
>markings on the chips to designate between cas bfr ras and ras bfr cas?
>looking over the chips in the board, they all seem to have a 'P' at the end
>of the part number.  Could that be it?

I doubt it. Nearly every DRAM over 256 kbit manufactured today supports CAS
before RAS. As far as I know, there are no markings because the industry
standard chip (256k x 4 in this case) must support CAS before RAS.

I would be very surprised if ANY of the 256k x 4 chips you get DON'T support
CAS before RAS.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu