[comp.sys.apple2] Shrinkit problems

gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) (08/12/90)

I've been having some problems getting some of the files at the ftp site
tybalt.caltech.edu to work for me.  They FTP just fine, I download them to my
IIgs, no problem there.  I then run the files through Binscii v. 1.0.3 (is
there a newer, more user friendly, version?) and then try to run the file it
produced through Shrinkit 2.01.  Shrinkit shows me that there are several
files, but _none_ of these files have *names*. Thus, Shrinkit cannot unpack
them because of a Prodos error -- can't save a file without a name, right?

I'd like to get a newer version of Shrikit -- that itself might be the problem
-- but the copy at tybalt.caltech.edu is itself shrunk (brilliant move), and
the same thing happens when I try to unshrinkit with my Shrinkit 2.01: no
names.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
   				 but when the heart lies, where is home?"

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (08/12/90)

In article <14486@wpi.wpi.edu> gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) writes:
|I've been having some problems getting some of the files at the ftp site
|tybalt.caltech.edu to work for me.  They FTP just fine, I download them to my
|files, but _none_ of these files have *names*. Thus, Shrinkit cannot unpack
|them because of a Prodos error -- can't save a file without a name, right?

I have the same problem!  What's up?  Thanks.
-----
jeff stern     jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu     72647.1527@compuserve.com

acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) (08/13/90)

In article <14486@wpi.wpi.edu> gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) writes:
>I've been having some problems getting some of the files at the ftp site
>tybalt.caltech.edu to work for me.  They FTP just fine, I download them to my
>IIgs, no problem there.  I then run the files through Binscii v. 1.0.3 (is
>there a newer, more user friendly, version?) and then try to run the file it
>produced through Shrinkit 2.01.  Shrinkit shows me that there are several
>files, but _none_ of these files have *names*. Thus, Shrinkit cannot unpack
>them because of a Prodos error -- can't save a file without a name, right?
>---
>Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
>   				 but when the heart lies, where is home?"
>      gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu

This is because you are trying to unshrink an archive that was made with
ShrinkIt 3.0 or newer.  You need to get a hold of ShrinkIt 3.0.3 (current
version) in order to handle these archives properly.  ShrinkIt 3.0.3 will
process the new archives and the old without a hitch.

As for how you are going to get a newer ShrinkIt if it's shrunk with
ShrinkIt 3.0 or newer, is an interesting question.  I'm sure that someone
out there can pack up ShrinkIt 3.0.3 with version 2.1 and run it through
BinSCII for you.

--
This is my ".sig" file.  (I can tell, you're excited now....)
Ron

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (08/13/90)

... acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) writes:
>... gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) writes:
::
>>produced through Shrinkit 2.01.  Shrinkit shows me that there are several
>>files, but _none_ of these files have *names*. Thus, Shrinkit cannot unpack
>>them because of a Prodos error -- can't save a file without a name, right?
>>---
>>Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
>>   				 but when the heart lies, where is home?"
>>      gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu
>
>This is because you are trying to unshrink an archive that was made with
>ShrinkIt 3.0 or newer.  You need to get a hold of ShrinkIt 3.0.3 (current
>version) in order to handle these archives properly.  ShrinkIt 3.0.3 will
>process the new archives and the old without a hitch.
>
>As for how you are going to get a newer ShrinkIt if it's shrunk with
>ShrinkIt 3.0 or newer, is an interesting question.  I'm sure that someone
>out there can pack up ShrinkIt 3.0.3 with version 2.1 and run it through
>BinSCII for you.

Why not just run ShrinkIT 3.0.3 through BinSCII directly instead of going
through an old ShrinkIT?  This would save a lot of problems with getting
new copies to people with ancient versions.  A BinSCIIed un-ShrinkITed
ShrinkIT file would prove most helpful.

>Ron
>acct069@carroll1.cc.edu  or  carroll1!acct069@uwm.edu
      __  ___________  __
     /_/\/_/_______\_\/\_\
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /
      \  __ \ | | / __  /
       \_\/\_\|_|/_/\/_/   Just call me "Hammer."
       / /_/ /| |\ \_\ \
      /greg@hoss.unl.edu\
     /_/ /_/_______\_\ \_\

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (08/13/90)

When ShrinkIT 2.x lists an archive and there are no file names showing, it
means you have to use ShrinkIT 3.x on that archive. (Or GS-ShrinkIT.)
.

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (08/20/90)

In article <9008131428.AA24525@apple.com> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
| When ShrinkIT 2.x lists an archive and there are no file names showing, it
| means you have to use ShrinkIT 3.x on that archive. (Or GS-ShrinkIT.)

This would explain why my UnShrink II+ was having trouble.

Is there a Shrink/Unshrink II+ that can handle a ShrinkIT 3.x archive?
One with LZW/2 in it?

	david

--
! InterNet: deety!rat@spool.cs.wisc.edu           !  David Douthitt
! UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (08/22/90)

UnShrinkIt 2.0
I believe will handle a 3.x archive.
I got it from Apple.Programs conference of Pro-Line.
If you can't get it locally, drop me E-Mail and we can work something out.

shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com (Andy Nicholas) (08/24/90)

David, II+ UnShrinkIt v2.0 (as far as I know) works fine on LZW/2 files and
anything else GSHK or ShrinkIt 3.0.3 make.  Both it and II+ ShrinkIt 1.3 do
need to be updated sometime soon, though.

andy

PROLINE: pro-novapple!shrinkit
UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit
ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit@nosc.mil