[comp.sys.apple2] help on choosing a Hard drive

RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) (08/24/90)

  Well, I need some help.  I have been an Apple II user for very long time.  I
have a lot of experience on Apple II stuff, but practically none regarding to
Hard Disks.  I need some help on choosing the right drive.  I have been looking
at different drives, mechanism and brand.  However, I'm not completetly sure
about wich drive to choose.
  I have end up with either buying a fix drive of about 80-meg or a removable
45-meg drive.  Now the speed and price of both drives are about the same
(around 20ms average access time and $700).  I know that right now my needs are
of no more than 40-meg, but I'm thinking about the future.  If I ever fill the
drive, I will have to buy a new drive if I buy the 80-meg thats about a couple
100's more, but with the 45-meg removable is only around $100 for an extra
45-meg.  However, I don't know which drive would work better on an Apple IIgs.
Are the syquest drives reliable?  Which mechanism is better the Quamtum or the
Segate?  What about data lost?

   In addition, what about SCSI cards?  There are two right now the Apple DMA
SCSI Card, and the FastRam Card from CV Technology.  Which one is more
reliable?  Which one is better and faster?  Is CV Technology a reliable
company? in other words are they likely to be around in the next couple of
years or are they will go under like Ingenuity and several other companies...

   Please give me some advice...  If other II users have this same problems I
will compile all the responses I may receive and will post a sumary.

                    Rafael Yu

              Internet:   rafael@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
           America Online:    Veraguas

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (08/26/90)

If your choice is an 80-meg drive or a removeable 45, go for the removeable.

This has nothing to do with price or reliability, only the fact that once you
get the drive, you will find that *WHATEVER* size you decided you needed was
not large enough.  You mentioned "needing 40 megs" at present.  If you
currently "need" 40 megs, then 80 is not nearly enough.