[comp.sys.apple2] Can you "talk" to the Finder?

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (08/24/90)

	This question shows my lack of knowledge about the Finder, and I
guess about GS programming in general.. But I'll ask it.

	Is it possible to have an NDA 'communicate' with the Finder?
What I'm specifically talking about is an idea I have for an NDA.. I've
never written a GS specific program though so even if this is possible
it certainly won't be my first program..

	What I want to be able to do is write an NDA where it brings up
a little text box, and then you can type in a 'word' that has a wildcard
character in it... Then the NDA would figure out what files fit that
category, and SELECT them.

	I honestly can't think of TOO many uses of it myself, but wildcard
characters seem to be one of the limitations in the Finder concept itself.

	This was just one of the many ideas I have for NDAs and was just
wondering on the possibility of doing it.
--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/26/90)

In article <6303@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
[...]
>Is it possible to have an NDA 'communicate' with the Finder?
>What I'm specifically talking about is an idea I have for an NDA.

Nope, not currently.  I've thought this is a good idea for years now...
maybe someday it'll happen.

>What I want to be able to do is write an NDA where it brings up
>a little text box, and then you can type in a 'word' that has a wildcard
>character in it... Then the NDA would figure out what files fit that
>category, and SELECT them.

Yes, and you could also have NDAs that would ask the Finder what icons
are selected, so that the NDA could do something to all of them (and
somehow inform the Finder that the files changed so it can update any
displayed info it needs to, or have the OS inform the Finder automatically).

I'd like to hear your other ideas, too.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (08/27/90)

On Sun, 26 Aug 90 00:38:56 GMT David A. Lyons said:
>I'd like to hear your other ideas, too.

A nice feature is to have loadable finder modules that will get control
on an open.  This would enable such things as viewing pictures when
opened, playing sounds when opened, reading text when opened, etc.
These modules should, of course, be overridable.

>--
>David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
>Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875
>America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875
>GEnie: D.LYONS2 or DAVE.LYONS         CompuServe: 72177,3233
>Internet/BITNET:  dlyons@apple.com    UUCP:  ...!ames!apple!dlyons
>
>My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM

aa404@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Chris Roberts) (08/27/90)

>A nice feature is to have loadable finder modules that will get control
>on an open.  This would enable such things as viewing pictures when
>opened, playing sounds when opened, reading text when opened, etc.
>These modules should, of course, be overridable.

A little off, but still on the subject.  From what I understand, Wings from
Vitesse will do that exactly.  When selecting a sound file, it plays it, when
you select a text file it brings up an EDITOR, when you select a graphics file,
it displays it.

It's the first launching utility, I've liked since the finder.

	Chris  (aa404@cleveland.freenet.edu)

--
Apple II forever!				Chris Roberts
Channel 4 WCFT-TV				Apple II SIG Sysop