[comp.sys.apple2] Computing Chaos

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (Declan McCullagh) (08/27/90)

In an earlier article, Bob Church (bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu) writes:

>CHAOS theory is getting a lot of attention these days. I personally think
>that one of the first practical applications will be in debugging.  I'm
>serious. If a home computer with a dozen DA's is too complex to completely
>predict think about new systems for running airports, etc.

That's where object-oriented programming comes in.  I strongly suggest
Brad Cox's excellent book on Objective-C entitled _Object_Oriented_Programming:
an_Evolutionary_Approach_.  This refined approach to programming lends itself
to complex programming tasks like the one you described; information hiding/
encapsulation, inheritance, and other features of object-oriented programming
environments can take a large programming task and make it manageable...

As for whatever debugging is left, it's also a lot easier in object-oriented
languages - since you're not programming on the machine level, crashes tend
to be less violent and easier to trace.

Of course, this programmatical ease comes at a price - performance is
somewhat less than that of a more "traditional" language.  Interestingly
enough, though, the body of the program (source) tends to be considerably
smaller.  In any case, most people know that hardware performance is increasing
at a far greater rate than programmer productivity.

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu