[comp.sys.apple2] Boot up with Hard Drive

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) (08/20/90)

	I seem to recall that some time ago I heard about a program that
would let the GS wait until the Hard Drive had warmed up before it tried
to boot...anyone have any idea if it does exist or if this is just a
figment of my derranged imagination?

	Thanks,  Neil

Neil M. Runyon				Still running on my Apple IIgs ROM 1
University of Utah - CS Dept		 Woz machine, 1.75 Megs Ram, 65 M HD
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu		 4 Speakers, and one Sony TV/Monitor

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (08/24/90)

Neil,

By changing the SCSI ID#s around a little, you can get the GS to wait 3
seconds before booting. This gives the the harddisk time to spin-up. It has
been a while since I set up my drive, but I think I set the CPU SCSI to '2'
and the drive to 1....but I am not sure..so CHECK YOUR MANUAL.

max@lgc.com (Max Heffler) (08/24/90)

In article <7502.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:
>By changing the SCSI ID#s around a little, you can get the GS to wait 3
>seconds before booting. This gives the the harddisk time to spin-up. It has
>been a while since I set up my drive, but I think I set the CPU SCSI to '2'
>and the drive to 1....but I am not sure..so CHECK YOUR MANUAL.

For my Maxtor 8760, 3 seconds is not long enough.  Someone mailed me about
a porogram called smartboot.  Has anybody heard of this?  Is it Public Domain?
Can you post it?

Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

kreme@nyx.UUCP (The Lady in the Lake) (08/24/90)

In article <7502.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:
>By changing the SCSI ID#s around a little, you can get the GS to wait 3
>seconds before booting. This gives the the harddisk time to spin-up. It has
>been a while since I set up my drive, but I think I set the CPU SCSI to '2'
>and the drive to 1....but I am not sure..so CHECK YOUR MANUAL.

*******
WARNING
*******

If you set the computer's SCSI ID to 2 the machine WILL wait an extra four
seconds to boot.  This gives the drive time to spin up.  HOWEVER, it will do
this pause EVERY TIME YOU BOOT.  Needless to say, that can be annoying.

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/25/90)

In article <1966@nyx.UUCP>, kreme@nyx.UUCP (The Lady in the Lake) says:
>*******
>WARNING
>*******
>
>If you set the computer's SCSI ID to 2 the machine WILL wait an extra four
>seconds to boot.  This gives the drive time to spin up.  HOWEVER, it will do
>this pause EVERY TIME YOU BOOT.  Needless to say, that can be annoying.

So what should I set it at so it boots fastest?  (6 or 0, I'm guessing)

-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

kreme@nyx.UUCP (The Frightful Fungus) (08/27/90)

In article <4556UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>In article <1966@nyx.UUCP>, kreme@nyx.UUCP (The Lady in the Lake) says:
>>If you set the computer's SCSI ID to 2 the machine WILL wait an extra four
>>seconds to boot.  This gives the drive time to spin up.  HOWEVER, it will do
>>this pause EVERY TIME YOU BOOT.  Needless to say, that can be annoying.
>So what should I set it at so it boots fastest?  (6 or 0, I'm guessing)

Set the computer to 7 and the drive to 6.  At least that's what I've found is
fastest.