[comp.sys.apple2] Reply to an old post about System Disk on /ram5

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (08/24/90)

	I was calling my UNIX account on a toll call when I read the message
originally, so I didn't reply then. (I'd call up my account, read
comp.sys.apple2 into my scrollback as fast as possible, then read it offline).

	In the post that I'm referring to, someone tried to give a solution
to the widespread problem of copying System Disk 5.02 to /RAM5 and making it
bootable.

	Their solution was to use ProDOS 8 based programs to copy the
system to /ram5.. Well that is not a solution because it doesn't work.

	I have been using DigiCopy GS all along to (try) to copy 5.02
to an 800K /ram5.. I think the problem's been around since the original
System Disk 5.0... I'm virtually positive the problem didn't exist on
System 4.

	Oh yeah, specifically, when you try to boot, it says something
like "Error reading boot volume name, $0028"...

	And this has happened with not only the SYSTEM disk itself (a
virgin copy), but it's happened when I've copied any other System 5
based programs... Other programs DO work when copied to the ramdisk..
For example, Task Force is much quicker when I copy disk1 to an 800K
ramdisk.. (no disk switching needed)
--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/25/90)

Has anybody tried booting into finder (from 3.5) and dragging the boot disk
onto /ram5 (assuming /ram5 is 800K)?

Set the boot slot to RAM disk and away you go.

Works for me...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybatl.caltech.edu

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.190830.6671@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>Has anybody tried booting into finder (from 3.5) and dragging the boot disk
>onto /ram5 (assuming /ram5 is 800K)?
>
>Set the boot slot to RAM disk and away you go.
>
>Works for me...
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybatl.caltech.edu

I do almost the same thing, except I set /ram5 a little larger and hold
down the option key while dragging the icon. That gives me room for
some desk accessories. Once the boot slot is set to the RAM disk, you
can either do a three-key reboot (not recommended) or use the Finder's
quit. The Finder's quit used to give me trouble, but I think it was
a flaky DA.

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

In article <1990Aug24.190830.6671@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>Has anybody tried booting into finder (from 3.5) and dragging the boot disk
>onto /ram5 (assuming /ram5 is 800K)?
>
>Set the boot slot to RAM disk and away you go.
>
>Works for me...
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybatl.caltech.edu

Yes I've tried that... It doesn't work for me.. Mainly I'm trying to
be able to copy to /ram5 and boot so I don't have to boot AT ALL from a
floppy.. Thus prodos 8 solutions are best.  Other people have had this
same problem so I'm not insane or anything (well, that's another matter..
heh heh)..

I've tested RAM.. no problems..

With this being a seemingly widespread problem, it seems like it might
be a bug in the system somehow.

I will say though that after I got a new copy of 5.02 a few weeks ago,
copying system to /ram5 worked ONCE.. The copy was never un-write
protected even up until I tried it another time, so that's an even
stranger occurence.

--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/28/90)

I think the thing most of you are forgetting to do is format /RAM5.  You're
prolly just copying the files there, and that doesn't work.  Think about it
for a sec...

-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!