[comp.sys.apple2] Determining whether a drive has "auto park"

stanp@pro-fishunt.cts.com (Stan Planton) (08/23/90)

Most "manufacturers" are really assemblers, using other people's drives. One
approach is to take the housing apart, note the model and serial number from
the stickers on the drive itself (DON'T take the sealed hard drive apart, just
"unbury" it), then check ads in something like _Computer Shopper_ for
descriptions of that particular model of drive. One vendor or another is
certain to list "autoparking" as a feature of drives that have it.  Generally
speaking, I believe that drives with "voice coil" technology are likely to be
autoparking.
Stan Planton

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (08/24/90)

On Thu, 23 Aug 90 08:35:40 EST Stan Planton said:
>Most "manufacturers" are really assemblers, using other people's drives. One
>approach is to take the housing apart, note the model and serial number from
>the stickers on the drive itself.

  There is software which also gives the manufacturer and model number.
I'm not certain whether it's Apple's hard disk utility or one of the
public domain disk formatters, but I remember seeing the name and model
of my hard drive displayed on my screen when I was setting it up.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/25/90)

In article <9008241522.AA21243@apple.com>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) says:

>On Thu, 23 Aug 90 08:35:40 EST Stan Planton said:
>>Most "manufacturers" are really assemblers, using other people's drives. One
>>approach is to take the housing apart, note the model and serial number from
>>the stickers on the drive itself.
>
>  There is software which also gives the manufacturer and model number.
>I'm not certain whether it's Apple's hard disk utility or one of the
>public domain disk formatters, but I remember seeing the name and model
>of my hard drive displayed on my screen when I was setting it up.
>

>Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
>Department of Mathematics  |
>University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
>32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
>Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

Yeah, the Chinook Utilties will tell you exactly what your drive is.

-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (08/28/90)

In article <4555UD182050@NDSUVM1>, UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
> In article <9008241522.AA21243@apple.com>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) says:
>>
>>On Thu, 23 Aug 90 08:35:40 EST Stan Planton said:
>>>Most "manufacturers" are really assemblers, using other people's drives. One
>>>approach is to take the housing apart, note the model and serial number from
>>>the stickers on the drive itself.
>>
>>  There is software which also gives the manufacturer and model number.
>>I'm not certain whether it's Apple's hard disk utility or one of the
>>public domain disk formatters, but I remember seeing the name and model
>>of my hard drive displayed on my screen when I was setting it up.
>>

> Yeah, the Chinook Utilties will tell you exactly what your drive is.
>
> -------
> Mike

This reminds me that a friend asked me to find out whether the Chinook
Utilities have been updated to cope with the DMA SCSI card as yet?  He was told
earlier this year that this was under way, but has not heard as yet. Apparently
the utilities are one of the best for SCSI on the Apple 2.

On the note of software, I see in a recent TeXHaX that Albert Chin is getting
somewhere with porting TeX to the GS. This is good to see, I remember a few
posts along that line last year. Guess that the C compiler problems have caused
a delay. Now that ORCA/C 1.1 is out maybe it will work out (I hope, I would
love to have TeX on the GS).
--
Stephen Harker
Monash University