[comp.sys.apple2] "Missing" toolbox calls?

nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (Neil Parker) (08/26/90)

Last week I finally got my hands on Toolbox Reference Vol. 3, and as I
was typing the new stuff into my APW macro files (I'm using a REALLY old
version of APW, so I have to update the macro files manually), I noticed
something strange.  I noticed that there were some gaps in the tool
numbers, and upon looking up the gaps in the TML Pascal UNIT files, I
discovered that there were several calls which aren't documented in the
Toolbox Ref.

Anyway, these are the calls that I found in TML Pascal but not in the
Toolbox Ref.:

     Name                Number    Toolset
     ----                ------    -------
     _DrawPopUp          $3D0F     Menu Manager
     _LLDStartUp         $1913     Print Manager
     _LLDShutDown        $1A13       "      "
     _LLDControl         $1B13       "      "
     _LLDBitMap          $1C13       "      "
     _LLDText            $1D13       "      "
     _TEInsertPageBreak  $1522     TextEdit

I admit I'm not too sure how far to trust the TML Pascal stuff (after all,
in the manual they included the Macintosh SANE file instead of the IIGS
SANE file, and they list routines _TEGetHooks and _TESetHooks using the
call numbers for _TEOffsetToPoint and _TEPointToOffset respectively, but
with VERY different parameter lists...).  In spite of this, my curiosity was
aroused.

Is there anybody out there who knows if these routines actually exist, and
if so, where I can find documentation for them?  (IIGS Technical Note #36
would seem to imply that the LLD calls don't really exist--is this
correct?)

               - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker               parker@astro.uoregon.edu
nparker@cie.uoregon.edu   parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

In article <1990Aug26.082036.7841@cs.uoregon.edu> nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (Neil Parker) writes:
>Last week I finally got my hands on Toolbox Reference Vol. 3, and as I
>was typing the new stuff into my APW macro files (I'm using a REALLY old
>version of APW, so I have to update the macro files manually)

You know, APDA will sell you updates.  If you have APW 1.0 or later, all you
need is the APW Tools & Interfaces 1.1 package, which has all the current
interfaces and a bunch of nifty tools.  Mike Westerfield will also update
you to a current ORCA/M for a reasonable fee.

>Anyway, these are the calls that I found in TML Pascal but not in the
>Toolbox Ref.:
>
>     Name                Number    Toolset
>     ----                ------    -------
>     _DrawPopUp          $3D0F     Menu Manager

DrawPopUp was in preliminary 5.0 documentation but is no longer supported
externally.  It's used by the system to help manage pop-up controls.

>     _LLDStartUp         $1913     Print Manager
>     _LLDShutDown        $1A13       "      "
>     _LLDControl         $1B13       "      "
>     _LLDBitMap          $1C13       "      "
>     _LLDText            $1D13       "      "

All LLD Print Manager calls were obsoleted around System Software 2.0, when the
Print Manager architecture was redesigned.  I have an article in the upcoming
(October) develop about printer drivers which will explain this in a little more
detail.

>     _TEInsertPageBreak  $1522     TextEdit

At one time, TextEdit was going to support page breaks.  This was eventually
removed because it was becoming a problem and wasn't incredibly useful.
Again, it was listed in preliminary 5.0 documentation.  (In actuality, some of
the code to do this is still present, but it assumes an outdated TextEdit record
structure.  If you make this call, you are sure to toast your system.)

>               - Neil Parker
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

jsurine@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (James Surine) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug26.082036.7841@cs.uoregon.edu> nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (Neil Parker) writes:
>Last week I finally got my hands on Toolbox Reference Vol. 3, and as I
>was typing the new stuff into my APW macro files (I'm using a REALLY old
>version of APW, so I have to update the macro files manually), I noticed
>something strange.  I noticed that there were some gaps in the tool
>numbers, and upon looking up the gaps in the TML Pascal UNIT files, I
>discovered that there were several calls which aren't documented in the
>Toolbox Ref.

These calls and others may not be completly implemented or do not work
properly yet (remeber all the trouble with text edit in TML Pascal). That's
my guess.

--
j.surine@Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine)   |                                    |