[comp.sys.apple2] Apple to Mac

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (08/24/90)

In article <454DECCD519F202860@snybufva.bitnet> NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) writes:
>From:   SBUFVA::NOWAKO09     "APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST" 22-AUG-199
>0
>   11:37:01.90
>To:     BITNET%"apple2-l@brownvm"
>CC:     NOWAKO09
>Subj:   Apple to Mac
>
>Howdy!
>
>        I have a tech question, there is a card for the Amiga called
>A-Max (I believe) that allows it to emulate the Macintosh, my question is
>this - could this card be used with the //gs? Assuming the edge connector
>was adapted to the //gs's internal slot size? If not, why not? It sure
>would be nice if it could!
>                                        Joe Nowakowski
>                                        Nowako09@Snybufva (bitnet)

The A-Max card only exists to hold the Macintosh Rom's which you must buy
somewhere. Pirated versions of A-Max have the Mac ROM image on disk, and
therefore don't require the card.

Other than that, A-Max works on the Amiga because both it and the Mac share
the same processor (68000), and the Amiga can directly execute Mac code
(via some ROM modifications to map video around, etc.).  The GS can't execute
Mac code, so you're out of luck.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (08/24/90)

From:   SBUFVA::NOWAKO09     "APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST" 22-AUG-199
0
   11:37:01.90
To:     BITNET%"apple2-l@brownvm"

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (08/26/90)

>       I have a tech question, there is a card for the Amiga called
>A-Max (I believe) that allows it to emulate the Macintosh, my question is
>this - could this card be used with the //gs? Assuming the edge connector
>was adapted to the //gs's internal slot size? If not, why not? It sure
>would be nice if it could!
>                                        Joe Nowakowski
>                                        Nowako09@Snybufva (bitnet)

Sure would be nice!  But the A-Max uses the Motorola 680X0 chip contained in
the Amiga and needs a REAL _Mac_ ROM that you must hunt down and purchase
separately.  The IIgs doesn't have the hardware to do it.  We would require
the CPU and ROMs on a card or two, taking up space most of us don't have.
:(

Laer Haider
lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com

jsurine@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (James Surine) (08/28/90)

>>       I have a tech question, there is a card for the Amiga called
>>A-Max (I believe) that allows it to emulate the Macintosh, my question is
>>this - could this card be used with the //gs? Assuming the edge connector
>>was adapted to the //gs's internal slot size? If not, why not? It sure
>>would be nice if it could!
>>                                        Joe Nowakowski
>>                                        Nowako09@Snybufva (bitnet)

This type of hardware exists but only as prototypes (I have talked to people
who have seen it) but Apple get really peeved at this idea for some reason
and starts calling out the lawyers. I think it would be a great tie bringing
the Apple II line and the Macintosh closer together. I would settle for a
IIgs card for my Mac ci though but all they seem to be willing to offer is
a IIe card.

--
j.surine@Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine)   |                                    |