[comp.sys.apple2] How is GS/OS related to ProDos 8 or 16?

mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) (08/28/90)

Hello GSers,

	I'm still kinda new to GS (coming from Mac and Unix world) and am
having trouble distinguishing the difference between GS/OS and file
systems like ProDos 8 or 16.

	What does ProDos 8 or 16 do?  Are these just file systems of
different block sizes or what?

	Does GS/OS have the Finder, Desktop, System, etc. files located
in it?  I don't have a copy of GS/OS, ie. it didn't come with my new
Apple IIGS; I've been looking at some game s/w that can boot from the
floppy drive.

	What's a good source of overall GS descriptions and explanations?
I didn't get any manuals from the Computer Store, either.

	Thanks in advance!!!

Rob Mitchell  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  01776 (508) 443-7311
	Bitnet:    ...!uunet!tci!mitchell
	Internet:  mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com
	America Online: RobertM308

Steep and Deep ... The only way!!  These are my opinions only.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/28/90)

mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) writes:

>	What does ProDos 8 or 16 do?  Are these just file systems of
>different block sizes or what?

Both Prodos 8 and 16 use the same, .5K block filesystem. Prodos 8 is designed
to run on the older 8-bit Apple //'s, from the ][+ to the //c+, as well as on
the GS in its 'emulation mode' which means it is pretending that it is an
enhanced Apple //e. Prodos is really just a 'disk operating system', meaning
that it manages disks (and clocks, incidentally) but by and large leaves
everything else to the application.

Prodos 16 is simply a GS native version of Prodos, and does not include all the
graphics things normally associated with the finder et al. either -- it showed
some inklings of real O/S'ness and was defined fairly well, but it really does
not deliver because you are still on your own when it comes to anything the
toolbox can't handle. (Which is quite a lot, but only the foundations of a real
O/S are provided along with the desktop, sound, and system tools.)

GS/OS is the _real_ O/S. It provides file-system-independent O/S functions,
full character and block device driver support, and probably a few other
goodies that I don't know about, because I haven't got my hands on GS/OS ref 1
yet.

>GS/OS have the Finder, Desktop, System, etc. files located in it?

GS/OS is more the equivalent of System. Finder is a GS/OS application like any
other, and the Desktop file is implemented in a totally different manner than
the Mac. (If anybody at Apple is listening: does the Finder or the FST handle
the desktop data implementation? If it's Finder, than naughty naughty, it
should be the FST!!)

> I don't have a copy of GS/OS, ie. it didn't come with my new
>Apple IIGS; I've been looking at some game s/w that can boot from the
>floppy drive.

Blech! Do you have FTP?

>	What's a good source of overall GS descriptions and explanations?
>I didn't get any manuals from the Computer Store, either.

Double Blech. What kind of Computer Store is this? Maybe you should shell out
the $45 to order GS/OS new -- you get two really nice manuals telling you how
to use the system, although most of it will be old hat from the mac. It will
probably help, though, because certain things are implemented differently
(improved, I could say, but that's my opinion) than the mac.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (08/28/90)

In article <498@tci.UUCP> mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) writes:
>Hello GSers,
>
>	I'm still kinda new to GS (coming from Mac and Unix world) and am
>having trouble distinguishing the difference between GS/OS and file
>systems like ProDos 8 or 16.

    Technically, P8, P16 and GS/OS support the same file system.  P16 was
the first version of ProDOS written specifically for the Apple IIgs. The 16
refers to the GS's 16-bit processor, P8 got the '8' stuck on afterwards
to differentiate between it (for older Apple IIs) and the IIgs-specific
operating system.  ProDOS 16 is now obsolete, having been significantly
improved and renamed GS/OS.
    They all do basically the same thing, handling Disk and screen I/O
(among other things).  GS/OS just does it better than ever before.

>	What does ProDos 8 or 16 do?  Are these just file systems of
>different block sizes or what?

    Nope, all use block sizes of 512 bytes.

>	Does GS/OS have the Finder, Desktop, System, etc. files located
>in it?  I don't have a copy of GS/OS, ie. it didn't come with my new
>Apple IIGS; I've been looking at some game s/w that can boot from the
>floppy drive.

    You SHOULD have a copy of GS/OS.  It's cleverly disguised as
"Apple IIgs System Disk".  The system disk comes with the Finder, but
the finder is not necessary for a program to use GS/OS.  If you DIDN'T
get even the System Disk, it's time to raise some hell down at the dealership.

>	What's a good source of overall GS descriptions and explanations?
>I didn't get any manuals from the Computer Store, either.

    *NO* manuals?  I'd go back and demand at least the Owner's Guide.
Other books that came with MY GS include: "A Touch of Applesoft BASIC",
"Setting Up Your Apple IIgs", "Apple IIgs System Disk User's Guide".
If you're looking for somewhat technical information (about programming,
or hardware schematics, or whatever) then the following books are
recommended:
    "Technical Introduction to the Apple IIgs"
    "Apple IIgs Hardware Reference"
    "Apple IIgs Firmware Reference"
    "Programmer's introduction to..."
    "Apple IIgs ToolBox Reference, Vols 1 - 3"
Then, there are miscellany manuals about specific programming environments
that Apple supports through APDA.  Others here on the net would be more
qualified to describe that.

   There are many less technical books on the GS.  Just go to your local
B-Dalton, WaldenBooks/Waldensoftware to find 'em.

>	Thanks in advance!!!

    Ya know, I had this strange feeling of goodwill flow through me today,
  about an hour before I read your message! :-)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.014507.20308@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>GS/OS is more the equivalent of System. Finder is a GS/OS application like any
>other, and the Desktop file is implemented in a totally different manner than
>the Mac. (If anybody at Apple is listening: does the Finder or the FST handle
>the desktop data implementation? If it's Finder, than naughty naughty, it
>should be the FST!!)
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Why should the FST handle the desktop data file - it is an APPLICATION file,
just like any other application file. The finder is just another application
(as you said).
If Prosel wrote out a data file into each directory, or I write a utility
that writes a data file into each directory, then why should the FST
translate this (I presume this is what you meant - if not, what?).

IMHO the Finder data files between the Mac and the GS should have been made
compatible from the start, as should the toolbox interfaces, and the
PICT format, etc, etc.
Now as Apple tries to merge the lines (or at least make them talk to each
other much more easily) they have real problems.
Sure they made things better in a lot of areas, but they could of done this
in a way backwardly compatible with the old Macs in many areas (like they
did with color QD on the Mac).
They should have only deviated where they really had to, to support
better features, or where things are really bad (like no taskmaster).
It is a real pain swapping parameters, dereferencing pointers/handles,
changing function names etc when moving code from a GS <-> Mac.

John MacLean.

I know - its easy for me to say this now.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (08/29/90)

Rob
 ProDOS 8,16 & GS/OS are basically all the same animal in different stages of
evolution. All use pseudo-Unix tree style directories,etc. ProDOS 8 is for the
8-bit based machines (ie the //e,//c,//c+,//+ with 64K), ProDOS 16 was a
ProDOS 8 based operating system for the //GS and is a couple of years old.
GS/OS is a true 16bit operating system that takes full advantage of the GS
abilities. It supports forked files just like you are used to from your Mac
days.

You can pick up the System software at any Apple Dealer for around $35, or go
to your local user group meeting and they will probably give you a copy for a
minimum price (but sans the manuals that come with the full package).