[comp.sys.apple2] PC Transporter - Thanks

SUP_LEO@c53000.petrobras.anrj.br ("Leonardo Bottino - PETROBRAS - 534-3055", SEREC/SEINF) (08/21/90)

Hi, netland:

        Thanks for all of you who answered my questions about the PC
Transporter for the //'s.  The summary follows:

        1. It seems to be a good thing (I mean, it works), but with several
limitations:
                . You can't read double density disks;
                . You can only work with CGA (don't even think of EGA or VGA);
                . If you want to read 5.25'' disks, you'll have to buy the
                  disk drive that they sell;
                . No one knows of any communication program that work properly;
                . In general, the softwares that addresses the hardware will
                  probably not work;
                . The mouse seems to be compatible, but the joystick doesn't.

        2. Some of the people who answered my questions have encountered
problems with Applied Engineering's service (it took too long to fix a single
failure);

        3. As the price of the PC clones goes down, it's not difficult to buy
one, and users should evaluate what is expected.  Advantages:
                . Almost all PC softwares runs with PCT (except those that use
                  joystick and some others);
                . It supports ibm compatible keyboard (you must use one);
                . The package includes software to transfer files from MS-DOS
                  to PRODOS.

        Regards,
                Leonardo Bottino

                BITNET:   SUP_LEO@C53000.PETROBRAS.ANRJ.BR

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/21/90)

>. No one knows of any communication program that work properly

Kermit, Tellix, Procomm, Ms-works, Minihost...
These are the only ones I've tried and they all work, except the kermit transfe
r in kermit gets an error everytime it accesses a disk tduring transfer.
To solve this, just transfer to a RAMdisk (You can use Apple's RAMdisk as
an IBM RAMdisk).

>. It supports IBM compatible keyboard (you must use one);

No.  It DOES support one, but one is definitely not necessary.  ...unless
you're using a ][+, that's the ONLY time it's necessay.

>. If you want to read 5.25" disks then you need to buy the disk drive that
>  they sell.

Someone else (Jameco, I think) sells a compatible 5.25" drivce that's about
$50 cheaper.

>. The mouse seems to be compatible, but the joustick doesn't

Right,... it doesn't support a joystick.

>2. Somr of the people who answered my questions have encountered problems
>with Applied Engineerings service (it took too long to fix a single failure)

This is DEFINITELY true!  They have the worst service of ANY company I've ever
dealt with!  I was without my PCT (or one of it's vital parts) for about six
months until they finally figured out it was just a defective drive.  Actually
THEY didn't figure it out, I did.  I had to call them and tell them wahat was
wrong with it, then they replaced it.

sly@pro-lep.cts.com (Steve Yount) (08/29/90)

I have a PC Transporter, and wish to add that you do have a choice in 5.25"
drives for it.  I have a Meiji 5.25" Transdrive, and an AMR 3.5" drive
daisy chained to the back of it, and it works GREAT.  Cost half as much, too.
Roger Coats, Inc. handles it.
                                SLY
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!sly
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!sly@nosc.mil
INET: sly@pro-lep.cts.com

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (08/30/90)

In article <14019.net.apple@pro-lep> sly@pro-lep.cts.com (Steve Yount) writes:

>I have a PC Transporter, and wish to add that you do have a choice in 5.25"
>drives for it.  I have a Meiji 5.25" Transdrive, and an AMR 3.5" drive
>daisy chained to the back of it, and it works GREAT.  Cost half as much, too.
>Roger Coats, Inc. handles it.

Nope. Not anymore they don't. I tried to get one when I bought my PCT
earlier this summer. The sales rep told me they were getting too many
complaints on the Meiji transdrives and decided to drop them.

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu