[net.space] Experimental Safety

RWK@SCRC-TENEX@sri-unix (12/10/82)

From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK at SCRC-TENEX>
    Date: 8 Dec 82 9:58:17-PST (Wed)
    To: space at Mit-Mc
    From: teklabs!tektroni!tekcad!keithl at Ucb-C70
    Subject: Sandbags and Experimental Safety

    I am experimenting with a device that moves a 20 kilogram steel strip at
    up to 200 m/s (eventually MUCH bigger and faster; space launch, anyone?),
    and I'm looking for references on sandbag stopping power and similar
    safety systems.  We have the Army Ballistics Research Lab on the net; can
    anyone there suggest some papers or books?

I would recommend the Pulse Field Technology Safe-T Force Field.  It
meets all OSHA standards for material objects to 60 km/s, but due to the
high-frequency pulsed nature of the field (which accounts for the low
cost), it is not suitable for sheilding radioactives.

It has an option for an energy storage bank to allow the absorbtion of
large energy pulses of low duty cycle with smaller, less expensive
heat sinks.  Thus when you begin throwing boxcars around, you will have
a clear growth path without needing to divert a small river to dissapate
the energy.

We have been using this system for two years now, with very good results.
There has been only one failure to date, when a janitor unplugged it to
plug in his vacuum cleaner.  Unfortunately, this reduced our lab and the
building next door to rubble, but the battery backup option allowed the
Safe-T Field unit to come through unscathed.