[comp.sys.apple2] Is sound recording/playback possible on apple IIx?

lcuff@spectrum.cmc.com (Leonard Cuff) (08/25/90)

This is perhaps a naive question, but here goes:
Is it possible to record and playback sounds on a IIe or IIc or II+?

This is a capability that I know Macs have, (with some add-on
hardware and software) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done
this on an Apple IIx, and if so what kind of hardware
is required and the quality of the sound coming out of the
speaker.

Any and all information (even "I've never heard of such a
thing" from people who consider themselves very knowledgeable)
would be appreciated.

Please email me responses and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks.

--
Leonard Cuff                 if ( my_words == Rockwells_words )
lcuff@cmc.com                         hell_freezes_over = now;

"I feel like a fugitive from th' law of averages" - Bill Mauldin

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug24.234134.19816@spectrum.CMC.COM>, lcuff@spectrum.cmc.com (Leonard Cuff) writes:
>This is perhaps a naive question, but here goes:
>Is it possible to record and playback sounds on a IIe or IIc or II+?
>
>This is a capability that I know Macs have, (with some add-on
>hardware and software) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done
>this on an Apple IIx, and if so what kind of hardware
>is required and the quality of the sound coming out of the
>speaker.

I used to have a program called AppleTalker (it came on cassette tape, which
disintigrated some years ago (so did my only disk copy of it)).

AppleTalker (rather crudely) sampled audio from the cassette in port.  It
could then play it back to either the speaker or the cassette port.

The sound quality was horrible, but it could reproduce intellegeble speech.

"We were wondering when somebody would discover that one."
	- The response of a customer support rep to a customer's phoned in
	  bug report (name of company with held to protect the guilty).

                                     iwblsys\
rlw@ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (08/30/90)

The Apple II GS can be fitted with a Sonic Blaster or other digitizer
hardware, which will digitize a sound for playback by general sound play
programs or as instruments in songs.

--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (08/31/90)

In article <12902@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:
>The Apple II GS can be fitted with a Sonic Blaster or other digitizer
>hardware, which will digitize a sound for playback by general sound play
>programs or as instruments in songs.

   Actually, the //GS has the digitizer/playback hardware as a standard feature,
which is why it's still the best sound machine out there.  Sound cards
do only a few things these days:

   1) Process audio signals to be digitized to remove noise, set proper
      signal levels, etc.
   2) Provide the $3 worth of stuff to have stereo output.

>--
>Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
>     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,
>         o/~ `Cause this skinny boy wants a BIG FAT BLONDE!   - The Rainmakers
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Me too!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

max@lgc.com (Max Heffler) (08/31/90)

>>hardware, which will digitize a sound for playback by general sound play

After I brought the simpsons sound down (1 of 4 corrupted), I was unable to
get inteligible sounds using the soundplay program.  Is there another sound
playing program i should be using?
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (08/31/90)

If you want to digitize sound on an Apple // (I assume the original message
was talking about this?)  I don't know of any specific hardware for this
(although I'm not saying there isn't any,... just that I don't know of any),
but I used an old ComputerEyes (when it was new) on my old Franklin Ace 1000
(Apple ][e compatible).  I wrote a machine language program (about 3 lines)
that would play sound to the Apple speaker live while an audio cable was
plugged into the computereyes.  I wrote another one that would record and
playback the sound... this is a crude program... more like a pre-pre-pre-alpha
version... but it worked.  If you want to do it yourself, you have to do a read
from one of the gameport I/O addresses (I can't think of which it is right now,
but the information should be in any apple // tech. manual).  After you do a
read from that location, you must do a BPL READ... like this

READ    LDA $IN-ADDRESS  ;I forgot this address
        BPL READ
        LDA $C030
        LDA $C030
        JMP READ

(Well, OK, so it wasn't three lines :)
I'd finish this program and make it menu driven and all that good stuff, but
an EX friend 'borrowed' my computereyes and 'loaned' it to someone whom he
doesn't know their name, phone number, address, and can't remember what they
looked like!!  I've been trying to get in touch with him for the past year
with no luck... anyway, that's another story.
It wouldn't be much more difficult to store the digitized info into memory
and save it to disk, then play it back... except I had a hard time getting
the playback speed set just right.

If anyone tries this with their old computereyes... MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU
DON'T SEND TOO STRONG A SIGNAL INTO THE COMPUTEREYES OR YOU'LL FRY IT!!
Believe me! I've learned from experience!
One good rule of thumb is don't plug the output from your 130watt Gorilla amp
into the computereyes!

Here's a neet trick...

run the old video digitizing software with the ComputerEyes while you have
an audio signal plugged into it and adjust the sync.  You'll get a wave form
on your hi-res screen!