[comp.sys.apple2] Sick GS?

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/28/90)

My GS is acting wierd. I suspect that the Ensoniq or the speaker has
something wrong with it. I am randomly getting Unclaimed Sound
Interrupt(error 08FF). The System checks out fine. Could this be
heat related? Also, I have an Audio Animator in slot 6 connected
to an external amp. I don't have a Midi connection, yet.

I do have a Conserver, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a TWGS,
DMA SCSI, GS+ memory and the AA. The wierd things involve crashes,
resetting of control panel settings, crashing into the monitor,
"text control panel" unreadable. It's working fine today. But who
knows what tomorrow will bring!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.204125.14056@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

> I do have a Conserver, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a TWGS,
> DMA SCSI, GS+ memory and the AA. The wierd things involve crashes,
> resetting of control panel settings, crashing into the monitor,
> "text control panel" unreadable. It's working fine today. But who
> knows what tomorrow will bring!

These symptoms sounds very similar to the ones I had a few months ago with
my TWGS.  Do these strange things happen more often in Prodos 8?  Does
your border color sometimes change to Red and reset the rest to standards?
If this sounds familiar, then it's most likely your TransWarp.  If you want
to find out for sure, just pull out your TWGS and replace your "stock"
65816 for a few days.  If that doesn't do it, then I would suggest getting
an internal fan (I got a fan AND pulled my TWGS at the same time, so I can't
be sure).

> Philip McDunnough
> University of Toronto
> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
> [my opinions]

Dale LaFountain
dalel@servio.SLC.COM
dalel@servio.UUCP

dave@dg-rtp.dg.com (David Kopper) (08/29/90)

(Philip McDunnough) writes:

> I do have a Conserver, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a
TWGS,
> DMA SCSI, GS+ memory and the AA. The wierd things involve crashes,
> resetting of control panel settings, crashing into the monitor,
> "text control panel" unreadable. It's working fine today. But who
> knows what tomorrow will bring!

My GS was doing weird things for a while last month.  This was right
after I
added a C.V. Tech RamFAST/SCSI controller to my Rom 1 GS with a TWGS and
4 meg
GS Sauce memory board.  My problem was disk corruption/hangs and general
weirdness
(programs would crash into the monitor, I couldn't boot sometimes...).

My solution was to replace the power supply with the new heavy duty one
from
AE (oops, I forgot to mention that I have a conserver).  My GS has been
a happy
little computer ever since I put in the new power supply.  I was given
this
solution by the folks at C.V. Technology - real nice folks there...

Oh yea, Quality computers is where I bought it from for about $70 - next
day
delivery and all...

                                                 Dave Kopper
                                             dave@mystie.webo.dg.com

USERID@bunny.gte.com (Michael Hackney) (08/31/90)

I have (and have had for 18 months) this same problem.  I have taken out
my transwarp, but that DOES NOT fix the problem.  What I have found is:

when the temperature gets above 80 in my computer room, the problem gets
more severe.  If I "pop" the power supply (turn off the //gs first!) and
push on the large square VGC chip (the one in the socket) the problem goes
away.  I think the heat build-up causes either the chip or the socket to
warp slightly, and in my case, the chip actually rocks in the socket.
And, oh yes, I do have an internal fan.

Michael Hackney               ** Too shy to live,        **
PiWare                        ** too embarrassed to die. **

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/31/90)

In article <862@dg.dg.com> dave@dg-rtp.dg.com (David Kopper) writes:
>added a C.V. Tech RamFAST/SCSI controller to my Rom 1 GS with a TWGS and
>4 meg
>GS Sauce memory board.  My problem was disk corruption/hangs and general
>weirdness
>(programs would crash into the monitor, I couldn't boot sometimes...).
>
>My solution was to replace the power supply with the new heavy duty one
>from
>AE (oops, I forgot to mention that I have a conserver).  My GS has been
>a happy
>little computer ever since I put in the new power supply.

Okay, since I started this, I think I will know after many sleepness
nights tell you what I now feel is the problem. In fact I KNOW what
it is in my case at least!

I have an Audio Animator( from AE). I upgraded to Diversi-Tune 1.1( a free
upgrade to ver2.0, which will be substantial will be coming this fall).
Now the Audio Animator is now supported by Diversi-Tune( it always was as
a stereo card). So in the configuration settings I put YES for Stereo Card.
You must put NO for the Stereo Card setting, despite the AA.
I also had yes to the 5.25" floppy(which I removed and reset things to NO
for it). Well that little configuration "error" causes ALL the problems
I have been having, which are similar to yours. Crashes to the monitor,
resetting of control panel settings,etc...

It is NOT the heat. Unless the GS can't operate in 50 degree weather with
its lid off! I have checked evrything. It is Diversi-Tune+ Audio Animator.
One must be careful about the settings. Finally!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

mpalamar@pro-berks.cts.com (Mike Palamar) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug27.204125.14056@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>> I do have a Conserver, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a TWGS,
>> DMA SCSI, GS+ memory and the AA. The wierd things involve crashes,
>> resetting of control panel settings, crashing into the monitor,
>> "text control panel" unreadable. It's working fine today. But who
>> knows what tomorrow will bring!

>These symptoms sounds very similar to the ones I had a few months ago with
>my TWGS.  Do these strange things happen more often in Prodos 8?  Does
>your border color sometimes change to Red and reset the rest to standards?
>If this sounds familiar, then it's most likely your TransWarp.  If you want
>to find out for sure, just pull out your TWGS and replace your "stock"
>65816 for a few days.  If that doesn't do it, then I would suggest getting
>an internal fan (I got a fan AND pulled my TWGS at the same time, so I can't
>be sure).

> Philip McDunnough
> University of Toronto
> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
> [my opinions]

I had simialar problems and it was a faulty Transwarp.  Pull the Transwarp
and see if you still get the same problems.  If not give Applied Engineering
tech support a call or call their new Tech Support BBS at 214-241-6677.
The failure rate for these cards must be very high.  Two out of my four had
to be returned for replacements.

Internet--mpalamar@pro-berks.cts.com
UUCP--crash!pro-berks!mpalamar

pro-berks--[300-9600 baud]--(215)929-4315---Reading, Pa