[comp.sys.apple2] AppleShare

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (08/26/90)

What is the minimum Mac configuration to run AppleShare with my GS?  I've
been thinking a lot of playing with it, and I kinda want a cheap Mac anyway
and I got a line on a nice Mac 512.  Can this run AppleShare?  Can it be
made to run it (more RAM, ability to use SCSI HD's...I heard you could
upgrade them to a Mac+).  Any ideas what something like this (upgrading) would
cost?  Can a 512 use 800K drives?

Thanks for any and all replies.
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

In article <4557UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>What is the minimum Mac configuration to run AppleShare with my GS?  I've
>
>Thanks for any and all replies.
>-------
>Mike
>
>                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!

This kind of attitude (last signature line) really makes my day.

You can get all kinds of AppleShare (AFP 2.0 or later) servers.  Apple's is
called AppleShare, and requires a 1 MB Macintosh with Mac Plus functionality
(read ROMs, I believe) or greater.  If you have 2 MB or more, you can get 50
users on the server at once (1 MB allows 25 users).  There are also memory-
related limits on the number of open files, folders and locked ranges.

The Apple IIgs requires 768K of RAM to work with any AFP 2.0 or later server.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/02/90)

Appleshare is the *ONLY* file server I've found that works with the GS.  TOPS
(or whatever it's called these days), PSN, and others do NOT support
the GS.  I actually wanted a network to connect my PC and GS, going through
the mac was the only solution I could find (network wise).  I bought a mac
plus through school for $800 and it's let me connect my mac II fx, GS, and
386 box just fine.
*** Randy Hyde O-)
.