[comp.sys.apple2] Z80-CP/M emulation for Apple //s?

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (08/21/90)

Here's a thought:

Several outfits produce software emulators for Z80-CP/M environments
for IBM PCs.  What with all the speed-up options for Apple //s of
every vintage, has anyone ever written a Z80-CP/M software emulator
for the 6502 or 65816?  Such a beast might actually run faster in an
accelerated Apple // than the hardware solutions remaining on the
market, which I think still use 1MHz Z80s.

Just curious...

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, General Systems Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/22/90)

In article <28160005@hpisod2.HP.COM>, jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
> Here's a thought:
>
> Several outfits produce software emulators for Z80-CP/M environments
> for IBM PCs.  What with all the speed-up options for Apple //s of
> every vintage, has anyone ever written a Z80-CP/M software emulator
> for the 6502 or 65816?  Such a beast might actually run faster in an
> accelerated Apple // than the hardware solutions remaining on the
> market, which I think still use 1MHz Z80s.
>
> Just curious...
>
> Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com       (408) 447-4993

This would be handy for us who have //cs and bought the Z-RAM // card
instead of Z-RAM///. There's no way to add CPM now except to replace
the board.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (08/25/90)

>Several outfits produce software emulators for Z80-CP/M environments
>for IBM PCs.  What with all the speed-up options for Apple //s of
>every vintage, has anyone ever written a Z80-CP/M software emulator
>for the 6502 or 65816?  Such a beast might actually run faster in an
>accelerated Apple // than the hardware solutions remaining on the
>market, which I think still use 1MHz Z80s.

Actually, most Z80 boards run at 4MHz.  It's just that it isn't any faster
than
a 1MHz 65C02, that you can perceive anyway.

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (08/26/90)

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:

>...Such a beast might actually run faster in an
>accelerated Apple // than the hardware solutions remaining on the
>market, which I think still use 1MHz Z80s.

Perhaps, but let me brag for a moment about my specially modified
PCPI Applicard. I replaced the Z-80 chip with a Z-80H, put in
90ns RAMS (or something like that), replaced the clock oscilator
chip, and put in a 20 Mhz rock. Now my PCPI runs at 10 Mhz.
It's really fun to watch my friend's faces when they watch my
CP/M turbo pascal compile. The line numbers go by too fast to
read!

If you find anyone selling a PCPI Applicard, buy it instantly!
If you have one, keep it! They will be collectors items someday,
and in the meantime, you can crank 'em as high as they'll go!

The moral is: good hardware beats bad software. :-)

--
Nick Sayer               |  Disclaimer:
N6QQQ                    |    "Just because you're reading my post doesn't

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/02/90)

Hmm... I've got one, want to buy it?
Actually, the only problem with the PCPI card is the speed of peripheral
devices on the GS.  I have an 8mhz Z80 on my 386 box which really screams
(due to the fast HD there).  My PCPI is much better than the old Softcard
tho..
*** Randy Hyde O-)