[comp.sys.apple2] HELP: Apple IIGS turns into Apple IIG

cstar@iceman.jcu.oz (Terry Rawlings) (08/31/90)

HELP!!!!

Recently my ROM 1 Apple IIGS has turned into an Apple IIG (ie. no sound, noise).

I have removed the speaker and tested that and it is able to produce sound,
and I have also plugged a set of headphones in the plug at the back but nothing
was heard when it was supposed to be making a noise.  If anyone has any
suggestions as to what to look at next (aside from the Control Panel), before
an expensive trip to my friendly Apple dealer, they'd be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Terry.
cstar@marlin.jcu.edu.au

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/02/90)

In article <909@iceman.jcu.oz> cstar@iceman.jcu.oz (Terry Rawlings) writes:
>Recently my ROM 1 Apple IIGS has turned into an Apple IIG (ie. no sound,
>noise).  If anyone has any suggestions as to what to look at next (aside from
>the Control Panel), before an expensive trip to my friendly Apple dealer,
>they'd be appreciated.

Do be sure to check out the control panel, since you can completely silence
the sound section via control-panel settings.  Try resetting the whole shebang
to factory defaults before deciding that hardware has definitely failed.

If the hardware has really failed and you're unable to troubleshoot it using
the schematics in the Apple IIGS Hardware Reference Manual, I'd really suggest
turning the task over to somebody with the knowledge and equipment.  You can
do more harm than good poking around at random in the circuitry.